Litter box help!!

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

waterlilly0212

Reaction score
Hi everyone-

Bailey right now poos and pees in one corner of his cage. I put newspaper down there, and he is very good about going on the newspaper only, and I change the newspaper frequently. However, because newspaper isn't as absorbent, his back legs get wet a lot, and his fur gets discolored. Lately he has taken to sitting in that corner too, and I know that's not very hygenic. I want to try to litterbox train him. What would be the best set-up so when he sits there his feet down't get wet with pee?
Thanks

I would as suggested above. Also, when you start litter training, add some poos to the litterbox to give him a better idea of where he should be going. Wipe up any pee accidents with a paper towel and place in the litter box as well.

Have you read our library thread on Litter Training? Here's the link:

Litter Training

Good Luck!:)

Sounds like he's ready for training. I suggest that you get him a bigger litter box than you think he needs. Bigger is better. Trust me on this. Skylar only weighs 4.5 lbs, but uses a full sized cat box. A litter box with high sides or a "high back" litter box (as previously suggested) is best. Put some hay in the front of the box for him to nibble on, too. We read, they eat, but he won't eat the soiled hay, just the fresh. And the hay will be an incentive for him to use the box.

Here's a video that discusses rabbit safe litters.

[ame]http://youtube.com/watch?v=JTT7Dr_pPbc[/ame]

since he seems to prefer a corner, I'd look in the small animal section of the pet store for a corner litterbox. my bunnies love'em, and sometimes you can find them with grates on them that keep them from sitting in their poo.

tonyshuman wrote:
since he seems to prefer a corner, I'd look in the small animal section of the pet store for a corner litterbox. my bunnies love'em, and sometimes you can find them with grates on them that keep them from sitting in their poo.

I've got some of those, too, which I place in various corners of the house and our screen porch for when the buns are free range. But in their condos, I go with full-size cat boxes. That is a must for my bonded pair...or I'd be changing litter every day. Since Pipkin loves to readjust and kick his litter about, I use a litterbox that has a ledge-guard around the edge. Keeps him from making more of a mess than he does.

Some people use grates or some kind of mesh over the litter to prevent the buns from sitting in it and getting wet bottoms. There are a few threads here on the forum in regards to that.

Happy potty-training!
~Mary Ellen

Hi everyone!

Thanks for all your help... Today I went shopping and bought a litter box and yesterdays news! I put some litter in, then ripped off some of his dirty newspaper (pee) and put that in the box, as well as some poops of his... I put hay on the opposite side, too.

He jumped right in and is now contentedly chewing on hay as we speak. *Hopefully this works!* It looks good so far... :)

Latest posts

Back