Litter box help- Jake is eating his litter box

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Just like the title says... My Jacob is eating his litter box. He's not just chewing it, there are a lot of plastic shaving missing. I'm afraid this could really harm him if he keeps it up. I had another rabbit die from eating plastic just last year. He has plenty of toys and hay but he just keeps eating the box. He's gone the whole way to the bottom of 2 of them so far this week.
Would a cheap metal pan (like a disposable one for like party food) be safe for him to use? No sharp edges and the same size as what he's used to. I could get them at the dollar store and just throw them away weekly instead of cleaning it all the time so it seems like a good idea.

I've never tried using one of those disposable aluminum pans, but I don't really think its a great idea. It's thin and he may chew that too. I would get a glass baking pan or metal one that's meant to be reused. I have a rabbit, Fred, that is eating his litter box too and I'm thinking of having my husband make a wood frame for it like we did with our other bunny Pepper. She was tipping her's over so we made a frame to weigh it down. I think it would also work to prevent chewing on the plastic box. Of course, she just went through a phase where she was chewing on the wood so we had to replace a piece. They never stop challenging us!!

PC220021.jpg

I would use those disposable trays, they would be too easy to chew and ingest. I think the wood frame is a good idea, have each top edge covered, and you can just slide it in and out from a side. It doesn't matter if your bunny chews the wood.

Latest posts

Back