Litter Box Help? Bunny keeps switching corners!

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

MiaP

Reaction score
Foster bun Hope is doing pretty well, but we're having a litter box issue. Since she's only the second bunny I've litter-trained, I am not sure how to proceed.

She began using the box right away when I put it in her cage. I'm using Yesterday's News litter, some hay, and I started it with some used litter in there, too. That was about ten days ago. It seemed like she was using it for all of her pee and most poos fore a week or so.

Then a couple of days ago, she started peeing in the opposite corner. There is a layer of newspaper on the bottom of the cage throughout, because it is a metal pan and I thought paper would make it cozier, and the paper was soaked.

So, I thought Okay, she wants to pee in the opposite corner--I put the box there. She immediately went right over to where the box had been and peed, right in front of me!

So, I put the box back. And today, the opposite corner is soaked. And when I had her out in the expen, she used the box for poos but peed in two different spots, on bare linoleum.

If you know what I'm doing wrong, or have any advice, I'd be happy to hear it. I hate the idea of her having wet spots in her cage, she has been through enough.

Thanks!

Well, I am no expert at litter training, but I thought mabye if you make her only source of hay in her litterbox? That way she has to get in there to eat it, mabye that will encourage her.

Bo does the same thing. No matter where I put his box, he has to pee in the other corner..... I put his hay over that box and he goes there - and poos in it...... but goes to another corner to pee....... He'll pee in every corner he can find. I think he needs a round cage. :?

Gosh, I feel for you Bo B:?.

Why not get one more box and put it in the other corner she prefers and see how it goes with two. Eventually, you should be able to take one away.

Good Luck! (You're not doing anything wrong, just silly buns:p.)

That's what I did, and nowBo uses both and the little bed we gave him :X He's such a brat! LOL!

AngelnSnuffy wrote:
Gosh, I feel for you Bo B:?.

Why not get one more box and put it in the other corner she prefers and see how it goes with two. Eventually, you should be able to take one away.

Good Luck! (You're not doing anything wrong, just silly buns:p.)

Holly's cage is only 24 x 40, so if I put in another litter box, there won't be much room left for her to move around at all. Otherwise, that situation would be ideal!

My bunny-housing situation is far from ideal right now. If only I didn't have so many kids, I would have more room for rabbits. :shock:

Not meaning to hijack, I just think some bunnies are brats about litterboxes. I suppose we could contain them to a smaller area but I still think Bo would be horrible.

She sounds just like Bo! I made him a cage to fit the spot we needed it to.... against a wall in a main walkway just inside a doorway... it worked. It was 1 nic by 3, 2 levels. I put the box under the upper level and soft stuff for him to jump down to..... he peed in the soft stuff and pood in the box. :? I had to give him 2 boxes and that is why he got sore hocks..... he was jumping into the box where he was peeing. It was hard on his feet.

So now he has a nic square cage..... 2 x 2 and 2 levels..... one that drops down a couple of inches to the pan under it, the main level and his upper level. I thought he would use a box in the back, under his main level.

WRONG!

He used the front two corners...... so I gave him boxes there - and he went to the back and used that too...... :X

here's an old pic ...... now he has litterboxes facing each other down on the main level. and he started peeing in that little bed under his upper level. He's great with his upper level.

Latest posts

Back