Litter Box Expectations Prior to Spay In Two Weeks

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

texaschewy

Reaction score
To my delight, I recently got a 7 month old doe. I have an appointment in two weeks to get her spayed, but until then, should I expect very much progress in her litter box training? I have two litter boxes in an x-pen area of about 4'x5'. She will poop in the litter box every once in a while, but insists on peeing everywhere else. I have tried moving them, but she just finds a new side of her pen.

Honestly, it all depends on the rabbit.

My little girl who I rescued has been litterbox trained since day 1, there was no training involved she just did it. Some rabbits take a lot longer to catch onto it.

What environment was she in before? Sometimes, if bunnies were kept in a wire cage they don't have a concept of bodily waste since it just "disappeared" underneath them before. Here are some great tips:

http://www.sandiegorabbits.org/litter-box-training/tips-litter-box-training-your-rabbit

http://www.sandiegorabbits.org/litter-box-training/litterbox-setup-success-0

Patience and persistence WILL work! Just stick to it and be sure to eliminate the smell of where she has urinated outside of the box so she doesn't get any ideas ;)

Thanks for your help. She was in a wire cage before coming to me, so this is the first time for her to see a litter box. I clean up her pee and have placed a little piece of paper towel in the box. Then I wipe down the area with white vinegar. I put stray poops in the box also.

That is perfect, sounds like you are doing everything right! If things don't start to fall into place, you can always try different types of litter as well. But I wouldn't jump the gun on that yet, just see where persistence takes you first.

Congrats on your new bunny by the way!

:bunny17:

I got my rabbit when she was 8 weeks and was litter trained within a week however once she hit about 7 months it all went downhill and she would wee everywhere including up the walls. She was spayed 1 week ago and has not urinated anywhere but her litter box since she came home. I think you will find there is a huge improvement after she is spayed but it may still take awhile to figure out where she likes her box and how many of them you need and she may need some time for her hormones to settle down too

Each bunny is different. Some take right to it and others are a lot more work. One way that worked for me with the more "stubborn" ones was to put the litter pan inside of an apple box that has a top and bottom with holes on the side. They'd spend time inside the "burrow" I'd made them and leave behind most of their waste. Good luck.

Just an update on my rabbit after she was spayed. She was doing very well prior to surgery with only one pee accident a day. Still quite a few poops out of the box. After her spay, all pee in litter box and only a few random poops outside litter box. Happy, healthy very affectionate bun who gives kisses and loves to be held and petted. I can trim her nails with no problems. She is a delight!!View attachment ImageUploadedByRabbit Forum1424402853.533040.jpg[
ATTACH]14165[/ATTACH]

Attachments

• ImageUploadedByRabbit Forum1424402882.960843.jpg
    57.3 KB · Views: 107
That face!! :D So glad the spay went well and her habits have improved so immensely.

Oh my gosh she is so cute! I love her colour. I'm glad the spay helped with her litter box issues

Latest posts

Back