Litter-box Bedding?

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Blabauve

Reaction score
I'm trying to litter-box train my rabbit, but I feel like I'm emptying the entire thing once a day, which seems very wasteful. I"m using the Kaytee corn cob bedding. But once all the hay gets packed down on it I can't really scoop it out. I currently have one of the triangle litter-boxes and realize I need to get a bigger cat litter-box, but I really like having the grate. Because he's an angora I don't want his hair just sitting in the urine - the grate has helped prevent that. Is there a better bedding I should be using instead of the corn cob? Thanks!

I use wood stove pellets. I'm sure they are a lot cheaper than the Kaytee bedding, and it is very easy to manage during cleaning. I have a cat litter box and the shelter from where I adopted my rabbit uses either the NIC grids or these metal grates that look like cooling racks, which is what I use in mine.

I use wood pellet litter. It can be a bit tricky to scoop out, but you don't really need to get all the wet litter each time. It is very absorbent, and I only use enough to just cover the bottom of the box and that will last about a week.

For the grates, I have wire mesh that has holes that are about 1cm by 1cm. It is just big enough for the poops to fall through, but not too big that the rabbits have issues with it. I also have plastic stitching screens under the wire to keep the poops from mixing with the litter. I can't just have the stiching screen as my rabbits chew it.
You can also get a sifting cat box that sort of has a grate with it. It's a bit more expensive that just a box, but I think you end up with 2 boxes, the grate and the top rim thing.

I hear the corn cob bedding is not good for rabbits.

I use carefresh, it's been doing quite well for me and the bun so far :) And its non toxic. I hear that if a rabbit ingests the corn cob bedding it can cause intestinal blockage.

I use wood stove pellets and don't bother scooping - I just dump the whole thing out every 5 days or so. I do use a grate, but only because one of my buns digs all of the litter out. If you don't have a digger, no need for the grate. A larger cat sized box will be better and allow you to go much longer than a day between cleanings.

Latest posts

Back