Litter box and litter

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ilovetoeatchocolate

Reaction score
Hello,

I have Oreo home now. He is from the Humane's society. His sister should be approved in a few days to come home. She is in critter care making sure she is helthy. One thing I noticed about Oreo is he seems to lay in his litter box. I have some hemp litter in there and on top I have some Carefresh.

Is that safe for him to eat? He is eating it. I have some hay in the litter box too.

He seems a little depressed. I am sure that he misses his sister. He just lays there.

Is it normal for him to lay in his litter box?I also put some hay in his bed that I want him to sleep in too!

Shannon

Ok not sure what "care-fresh" is, I'm sure the hemp is ok.. For my bun I put down one of those puppy wee pads (to help soak up urine) and then some stuff called "yesterday news" which is "cooked up" newspaper (as I understand it) and its just brown - fluff stuff, and on top of that I just throw in a ton of hay. My bun eats his hay out of his litter box and I also have a hay manger that is attached to his pen walls that I stick hay in.

I've never had a problem with him eating his hay out of his box (was one way to get him litter trained).. He is probably sitting in his LB as it makes him feel secure as he is in a new place without his sis.. As long as he is eating and drinking then I think you will be just fine. He needs time to adjust - so I'd try to spend as much time sitting next to his pen and just talk to him in quiet tone.

That being said - keep checking back for one of the Moderators to chime in on the care-fresh and hemp litter. good luck!!

If you don't want him eating the litter, or if he kicks it out, use a grate in the box. You can use some hardware cloth form a hardware store, it has 1cm*1cm holes and can be cut to fit any size. The things used for cross stitch (the hard ones) can work too. You can get a sifting cat pan that can be use as a grate.

Lots of rabbits like to lie in the litter box. I have fleece blankets for my bunnies on the shelves and they like to lie on those. Separating the bed and litter box areas can be a good idea if you have the space.

Oreo may be bored or lonely. His behaviour may change when you bring his sister home. Try giving him toys that are edible (hay in a paper towel roll can be fun) and letting him run around for some exercise (as long as he has not recently been neutered as he may pull the stitches).

Latest posts

Back