Litter box agression/ territorial

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Hkok

Reaction score
Our male Erslev (3 year old) have the last few week begun to be agressive when we change the litter box at night or erly morning.

He have this idea that he can get tosit besdie the box when we don't see it.
I try to change when he is not around, wich is what we always have done. When I take the poo up he litterly come running form the other end of the house and try to stop me by bitting (more a marking like he say"I could bite harder") and jump in the box.

When he does it I say no and push him away with he acept but my feeling is that it's only becaurse I am bigger and stronger.

Should I keep stopping him by pushing him away or should I simply lift him away when he does it the next time

It's the only time he have acted this way unless I do something stupid like wanting to chance hay when he is in his cage.

It seems like you're already good about not sticking your hands in there when he's in the cage, which is a good start. I would lightly hold his head down when he runs up to you and lunges or bites to let him know it's unacceptable. Sometimes petting them also works - it's disarming for a territorial rabbit to be petted instead and it can calm them down (just make sure you do this before he gets a chance to bite or really do anything so you're not rewarding the bad behavior, just rewarding him running up to you while you're cleaning his cage)

your bun has such a "small world" of what he can control so his box is HIS territory and you should respect it for just that, but work out the deal with him where he knows your just doing your "job" as a human slave to him - lol!.

Latest posts

Back