Litter/bedding question?

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

idreaminglasscolor

Reaction score
Hey guys, i was just wondering what you guys use? I use carefresh but i get the biiiig bags and they're 30 dollars and it can get expensive with two buns. I've been looking at home made carefresh which seems fairly neat, but very time consuming? i've also been looking at Ecobedding which is soooo cheap, but i don't want to go with cheap if it hurts my buns. What do you guys use/recommend? Thanks!

I used Eco Bedding up until yesterday. I also used Carefresh and didn't like it at all, I found it dusty and it bothered my allergies and asthma.

I really liked Eco Bedding, Toby had no issues with it from what I could tell. It's just paper so there's no need to worry about him munching on it. My only issue with it is that it's not REALLY that absorbent. I had to change it out daily, and even then it was sopping wet.

I just bought a 30lb bag of Yesterday's News Cat Litter for 12 bucks at Petsmart. It's all paper product and I've read only good things about it. It seems way more absorbent and it's dirt cheap.

I use wood pellet litter, it's about $6 for a 40 pound bag. I only use this in the litter box. For the rest of the cage I have fleece blankets, these get washed on a regular basis.

I use feline pine (a wood pellet) in the litter box and no bedding in the rest of the cage.

Be careful with yesterday's news because I've heard of people finding staples and things in it. If there is a screen or something so the bunny can't get to it, then it's okay but if the bun has access, it could be dangerous.

http://www.tractorsupply.com/wood-fuel-pellets-40-lb--3195163#BVRRWidgetID

^^ best stuff ever. I change Cheetos litter box once every two weeks with this stuff (of course, I also scoop in between.)
I went from using some of the store brands to this, and the smell is practically not there. That's extra important since we share a small room together.
Plus, it's like $5 for a 40lb bag.

I started out using Carefresh but wasn't impressed, I had some leftover Yesterdays News from my cats and mixed that 50/50 in the litterbox. My bun MUCH preferred the mix. The carefresh stuck to his long hair and would drag out of the pan. I planned on returning my extra bag of carefresh however he chewed a massive hole on the bottom. Talk about shooting yourself in the foot Joseph.

Right now Im using shredded paper mixed with Carefresh, the paper seems to tie the carefresh in nicely.

When everythings gone Ill switch over completely to wood pellets.

kkiddle wrote:

^^ best stuff ever. I change Cheetos litter box once every two weeks with this stuff (of course, I also scoop in between.)
I went from using some of the store brands to this, and the smell is practically not there. That's extra important since we share a small room together.
How is the absorbency on these? Fuel pellets are hardwood vs true wood pellet bedding uses softwoods. I'm just curious for future reference. WPB breaks up super easy under wetness.

aBreeze wrote:
kkiddle wrote:

How is the absorbency on these? Fuel pellets are hardwood vs true wood pellet bedding uses softwoods. I'm just curious for future reference. WPB breaks up super easy under wetness.

They're very absorbent. At least that I've noticed. They turn to mush after a couple of weeks, but if you're good at scooping they'll last. So far I've been very happy with them.

I use a mixture of Carefresh and shavings. It makes the Carefresh stretch farther and the buns seem to like the variety. I have always pretty much stuck to Carefresh as my base though, because even though it's expensive up front, I find that it lasts so much longer and does so much better of a job of soaking up wetness and odor that in the long term it's actually a more affordable option.

I scoop up soiled bits first thing in the morning and add a little bit of new to replace, and then of course clean the cage out entirely every once in awhile and scrub it out. I find that this makes the bedding last really long, and just a few minutes of clean-up in the morning keeps the cage looking and smelling fresh and clean.

Latest posts

Back