litter advise needed

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

hunnybunny63

Reaction score
recently i have been trying to teach my bunniesto use a litter tray but i havnt got any proper litter trays yet so ihave jsut been using graden trays and newspaper as litter but as thereis newspaper all over the floor in the greenhosue it didnt reallyencourgae them to use it so emptyed the whole greenhouse of straw andjust put straw in the litter tray. im going to hopfully get os properlitter trays next week so ill need some litter. which is the best touse for bunnies? a brand would be best as i can then just go out anybuy a small bag of that untill i know the bunnies will actually use it!

also does anyone have any more tips to teach bunnies to use a littertray as they bunnies are jsut over 3 and have ben used to go anywherethey like up until now!

We go to our local tack & feed place,and ask for "wood pellet horse bedding" and it's GREAT! Verygood odor control (combined with putting 1cc vanilla extract, eithernatural or imitation, in 32oz of their water), excellent absorption,and nice and inexpensive!! We got a HUGE bag(and I mean, myhusband had to carry it huge...bag says 30litres) for $6! Andfor California, that's GREAT!!

Hope that helps! :)

I use megazorb for my litter and I'm reallypleased with it, it is very absorbent, holds odors well and iseconomical compared to other litters I've found. Some other litters arecarefresh orbio-catolet which are both also good. I'd alsoput hay in their litter trays instead of straw as rabbits like tonibble on hay while they do their business!;)

thanks for all your advise im thinking of jsutsticking to sawdust and newspaper for now as im not too bothered aboutthe smell as i dont spend much time out in the garden!

if i do get permisson to bring someone in the house i will proberbly get meshcovers for the litter trays!

hunnybunny63 wrote:
thanks for all your advise im thinking of jsut sticking to sawdust
I would buy some regular pet litter as opposed to sawdust. The smellmay not bother you, but the fine particles can irritate the rabbit'slungs and lead to respiratory problems later on.

MyBoyHarper wrote:
hunnybunny63 wrote:
thanksfor all your advise im thinking of jsut sticking to sawdust
I would buy some regular pet litter as opposed to sawdust. The smellmay not bother you, but the fine particles can irritate the rabbit'slungs and lead to respiratory problems later on.
what would you class as 'regular pet litter'?

in msot pet shops sawdust is sold for small pets bed, to absorb urine!

Safe pet litters are aspen shavings, woody pet,carefresh, or any of the paper pulp litters. The bag will tell you ifit's paper pulp based, the bedding will look like crumbled egg cartons.These are the safest beddings, or just plain newspaper. Saw dust is anextremely bad choice and should never be used as bedding for a rabbit(Just because something is sold in a pet store, doesn't mean it's safe).

MyBoyHarper wrote:
Safe pet litters are aspen shavings, woody pet, carefresh,or any of the paper pulp litters. The bag will tell you if it's paperpulp based, the bedding will look like crumbled egg cartons. These arethe safest beddings, or just plain newspaper. Saw dust is an extremelybad choice and should never be used as bedding for a rabbit (Justbecause something is sold in a pet store, doesn't mean it'ssafe).
I don't want to seem like a know-it-all or anything, but sawdust to ushere in the US isn't what it is topeople in the UK. What wecall wood shavings, such as the aspen shavings, is sawdust to them.It's just one of those cultural differences as far as what something iscalled, kind of like pants to us is underwear to them.

My advice to you, hunnybunny63, is that if you get sawdust from thepetshop make sure that it's aspen, rather than pine. I, personally, usethe compressed wood pellet horse bedding that I purchase from thefeedstore. It's certainly cheaper than what you can buy in a petshop.Also putting a small handful of hay in the litterbox does encouragethem to use it. It's also helpful to pick up their poops and put themin and box and wipe up any urine with a paper towel or some newspaperand put it under some of the litter so they can smell where they'resupposed to go and use white vinegar to clean up urine spots outside ofthe litterbox.

Heather

thanks for all your help so far especially nuttinbutrouble for clearing up the miss understanding!

im going to sue sawdust as we call it and i have already been pickingup poos and putting then in there and they have hay ready for them too!

hunnybunny63 wrote:
thanks for all your help so far especially nuttinbutroublefor clearing up the miss understanding!

im going to sue sawdust as we call it and i have already been pickingup poos and putting then in there and they have hay ready for them too!

Just be careful it's woodshavings you're using (the wood flakes) notactually sawdust (the very fine 'dust' like stuff) as sawdust isn'tsafe to use.:)People often get the names confused but truesawdust is quite rare to find, I've only ever found it once in pets athome and it is very easy to spot as it looks just like dust.:?

Bunnys_rule63 wrote:
hunnybunny63 wrote:
thanksfor all your help so far especially nuttinbutrouble for clearing up themiss understanding!

Just be careful it's woodshavings you're using (the wood flakes) notactually sawdust (the very fine 'dust' like stuff) as sawdust isn'tsafe to use.:)People often get the names confused but truesawdust is quite rare to find, I've only ever found it once in pets athome and it is very easy to spot as it looks just like dust.:?
yep it is the flakes but the packet calls it sawdust but its not alldusty liek you described. i jsut put Daisy into the greenhouse and shehopped right into the litter tray and started to go for a wee so itlook promosing!! :)

YAY!! Wonderful to hear!! Go, Daisy!!!!

:bunnydance::bunnydance:

hunnybunny63 wrote:
i jsut put Daisyinto the greenhouse and she hopped right into the litter tray andstarted to go for a wee so it look promosing!! :)

Latest posts

Back