List the top two mistakes you've made as a beginner.

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

larryng

Reaction score
[flash=425,344]http://www.youtube.com/v/q_zEudwZfNQ&hl=en&fs=1[/flash]

The Alanis Morrisette song says it all. "You live , you learn".

To err is human.

My top two mistakes.

1)
Feeding Bagel, my last rabbit, the rabbit feed that looked like a bowl of Lucky Charms cereal. The feed had lots of seeds and other tasty bits that causes GI statsis .

2) Not feeding Bagel enough hay.

What ended up happening was Bagel got stuffed up. (GI statsis)

Luckily, I was able so save Bagel.( cost me a thousand dollars).

My first house rabbit was when I was in HS, back in the late 80's.

She never got hay

I used clay based kitty litter

She was happy and healthy by some miracle until my horrible brother in law let her out side when she was about 1.5 years old. I never saw her again. :(

Outdoor hutch with a wire bottom. Didnt get his teeth trimmed. I was about 8 at the time.

When I first got Teddy, the cage she was in was waaaaaaaaay too small. She also didn't get enough time out. So I built her a giant cage and gave her full run of my room to make up for it.

Mine is almost exact as brandys. My first rabbit i got in the late eighties. Licorice never got hay, was on a wire bottom cage and we used cat litter. I still feel bad til this day!

It's hard not to feel guilty, but I have consoled myself with the fact that things were MUCH different then. It wasn't so easy to get animal care information. *gasp* No internet! (OMG I feel so old!):shock:

If you read the books from back then they told you to put them in the hutches with wire bottoms, that was the thing to do. The house rabbit "movement" was barely getting started and certainly had not made it to central Ohio or Iowa, so we tried to make up the rules on our own. Spaying or neutering wasn't even a thought back then. There was no rabbit care section in the pet stores, perhaps a bag of chow but that's it. The clay litter was the only litter in the stores.

It's really no wonder my mom always felt rabbits were just too delicate. No hay, lots of iceburg lettuce and carrots, let them breed indescriminately and not change the pregnant mom's food. Wow have we come a LONG way in understanding these beautiful creatures in the last 20 years!

I've only ever had grown up bunnies, so having a baby was new to me. Tippy got cilantro and romaine from the beginning. She never had any problems with it though.

Yes brandy you are so right. In fact, my mom and I were just talking about Licorice the other day and SHE even feels bad because I was like 10 or 11 years old and she feels bad she didn't know better either. But we laughed because there was no Internet, we got Licorice at a pet store that knew nothing. You NEVER even thought to take a rabbit to a vet! So we just did what we thought was right......

Oh yes and he got iceberg lettuce and carrots too!! Haha

He/she (never got him properly sexed either, lol) was such a good bunny though. I could take Licorice outside without a leash and he would just stay right by me!!

I would never even think of doing that now! I used to carry thatnrabbit everywhere and he was such a sweetie. Never complained about anything.

Awww, memories of Licorice.....I have pictures of him I want to find now.....:)

Well... When I was about eleven and had a rabbit, this was before I had internet and back when things were far different. His cage was too small(I actually got him from a girl who left him LOOSE, in her backyard, all the time where other animals could have gotten him), and he didn't have hay.

Now? The only problems I've had is having them in cages too small(planning to build a bigger NIC cage when they bond), and there was a few weeks where my fiance's work hours weren't meeting up with the ladies who trims Crush's teeth, and then she was on vacation for a weekend, and his teeth got longer than I normally allow them. I felt SO bad. Now, however, my rabbits get tons of roaming time in their room, and they constantly have hay, get pellets every night, and have consistently cleaned cages.

I can't, for the life of me, remember what I used for litter in my previous rabbits cage(soooo many years ago!), but do recall him being litter-trained. The idea of what he could have been on for litter scares me. He was also a free-roamer with my Pit Bull mix of the time(Taz completely ignored him and didn't care), but looking back, I wouldn't have risked it.

When I was like 9, I kept a bunny outside in a hutch, let my dogs play with him (I had no idea that he was probably terrified). And he escaped one day and no idea what happened to him. I'm so glad I know better.

with Nala and Gaz, my mistakes were:
~ using pine bedding for a few days (before I found out how bad it was)
~ finding out that babies should have alfalfa rather than timothy and quick-switching them to the alfalfa (breeder had been feeding timothy), which upset gazzle's tummy
~ looking at a 9 week old lionhead/10 week old holland lop then looking at a NIC grid and thinking to myself "their heads won't fit through that." boy, did Nala prove me wrong! thank god I was home and the scuffling of feet on tarp woke me from my nap.
~ thinking a bit of cooking oil around the neck might get a 9-week-old lionhead's head out of a NIC panel (talk about messy!)

like others, I had a bunny as a child in the dark ages when "internet" was something most people didn't know existed, let alone have in their home. our "knowledge" about rabbit care came from whatever the shelter told my parents + library books that were probably outdated. looking back, I can't believe how much has changed as far as "common knowledge" and how many mistakes we made then.

~ I think my bunny had a wire (grid) flooring like my hammy cages at the time had so his poop and pee would fall through.
~ he ate mostly pellets
~ we did feed veggies, but it was scrap from cooking dinner most of the time... we did know not to give iceberg, but he'd get the peels from an entire carrot (save a few scraps that went to the hammies) with a tiny bit of top, a few scraps of lettuce, some bits of bellpepper, etc. in other words, he wasn't getting enough veggies and at least half of what he did get was non-leafy greens.
~ the only hay he EVER got was those compressed alfalfa cubes and he only got one cube (maybe 1''x2''x1'') once or twice a week 'cause mom said they were expensive and to "only give them as a special treat"
~ only one bunny at a time
~ I actually had two bunnies total, as one escaped from the back yard and a neighborhood dog came out of nowhere and killed my first bunny :(
~ we let him out in the back yard for a few hours a day even in summer when it was hot out (lived in new orleans, he'd go out in the evening on weekdays if it wasn't summer) - I'm sure the bunny was out in 90F+ heat at times, though always in the shade.
~ we let him outside while he had a little cut on his shoulder and he got flystrike :(... fortunately, we checked on his cut/applied a little bit of neosporin twice a day and when we checked it that evening, mom could tell that something was horribly wrong and rushed him to an emergency vet who saved his life.

Hmm... when I got my first bun, I was 8 years old and my dad got him for me from the pet store. My first mistake was giving pine bedding and the second was having too small a cage. I also took him everywhere and his name was "My Special Little Friend" LOL.... I used to take him on a leash to the park and bring him down the slide with me, he seemed to enjoy it though, very friendly bun. :)

My only two real issues were feeding veggies early and purchasing my first rabbit from a pet store.
I tried to do a lot of research first.

~ looking at a 9 week old lionhead/10 week old holland lop then looking at a NIC grid and thinking to myself "their heads won't fit through that." boy, did Nala prove me wrong! thank god I was home and the scuffling of feet on tarp woke me from my nap.
~ thinking a bit of cooking oil around the neck might get a 9-week-old lionhead's head out of a NIC panel (talk about messy!)

^^^^i got a good chuckle out of that :)

thankfully, that all happened around 7-7:30 am on the very day that they had a noon vet appointment for their first check-up (just to make sure they were healthy and happy)... and thank god the ONE time that little bundle of energy named Nala will sit stone still is when she's getting pets - regardless of where her head might be stuck at the time! I dunno what I would've done (aside from the obvious "panic") if I hadn't been able to get her to stop struggling against the grid until I could figure out how to free her.

I got myself a camera within a couple days of the incident, so in all their "baby" photos they have mussed-up fur from the cooking oil and subsequent sponge-baths (Gaz insisted on laying on top of Nala in the carrier going to the vet).

Hmm... not enough hay, too small of spaces for them. I think those were they main ones.

Latest posts

Back