Lily hasn't ate much today.

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BSAR

Reaction score
This morning when we fed all of the buns and gave them grass, they all immediatley started chowing down. Except for Lily. We noticed right away that she wasn't eating.

We figured she would in a bit since she usually doesn't start right away. Well we just got back from checking them and she barely ate any of her pellets and grass from the smorning. We gave her fresh water and more grass.

She looked a little tired also. All of the buns got to come out for a while yesterday. I am wondering if she got into something (she was in her pen the whole time) or if maybe she is just tired. She could also maybe be grieving for Goldie (since we just had her put to sleep on Wed.) they weren't attached or anything but she may notice something different.

Tomorrow morning if she hasn't ate anything we are going to make an appiontment to take to her the vet. I hope she is okay. What could be wrong with her?

I am pretty sure you guys no more than the vets may know about rabbits.:?

Edit: Just forgot to say that Lily was perfectly fine yesterday, running around outside and happy. Active and eating.

Could it possibly be cancer? She isn't fixed and is nearing 3 years...

Is she pressing her belly to the ground a little and staying in one spot?

This sounds exactly like gas. I was just going to make a post to remind everyone to stock up on baby gas medicine (like simethicone) bc Ive had 3 bouts of gas in my rabbits this week. If you treat it right away you can avoid serious problems.

Will she let you hold her? If so, feel her belly and rub gently in a backward motion towards her hips. If you can, gently lift while you rub. This will help break up any possible gas bubbles.

Also, do you have any simethicone on hand? If not, can you get to a Walmart or drug store tonight? Its infant gas medicine and you give 1-2 ccs (it should come with a dropper).

I would do this for now as it definitely can help and wont hurt. Also, change her litter box now so you can keep an eye on her output.

Gas comes on fast and they wont eat/poop and appear lethargic so I assume thats what youre dealing with. I would treat it as such and if you dont see improvement get her to a vet.

Oh and if you have pedialyte, get her some of that. Keeping her hydrated will help as well.

[align=left]I forgot to mention I would also make sure she has access to lots of hay. And dont feed her any sweets for now..just lots of hay and water. [/align]

BSAR wrote:
I am pretty sure you guys no more than the vets may know about rabbits.:?

Nobody can diagnose anything over the Internet. Those symptoms probably apply to 80% or more of rabbit ailments. Vets will palpate, take cultures, test fecal and blood samples, do x-rays, check her color, temperature, heart, respiration, etc.

Anyway, good advice from Haley. Are you giving herwet grass? That can cause gas, especially wet spring grass. If it is a gas attack, follow Haley's procedures.

Very loooooong massages will really help. However, if her tummy feels distended and/or she has diarrhea and/or is grinding her teeth, it could be bloat and you shouldn't massage her. She'll need ER treatment ASAP, they'll have to give her strong pain meds and aspirate her stomach contents with a tube.

I doubt that's her problem, though, she would have looked like a very sick hunched up bunny.

Is she pressing her tummy to the floor? That's the best indication of gas. But really, could be any number of things.

sas :clover:

PS: Make sure you keep her warm. Pain of any kindcan make them cold and shocky. And another symptom of bloat is a temperature drop,another reason to make sureshe's warm.

sas :bunnydance:

Thanks for your all's advice. :)

It didn't seem to me that Lily was pressing her belly to the floor, but she was staying in one spot and not moving very much, but still as active as she normally is. She usually doesn't move about in her cage often, she just likes to relax, etc. I'll go and take a look at her after I post this and see what I can see, and I'll also clean up all the pooh in her cage and litterbox, that way we can tell if she's going potty.

I'm not sure she has diarrhea, we haven't been feeding them wet grass. Usually we moisten the grass to keep it fresh and they've eaten wet grass before and had no problems, but the grass she has recently ate within the past 24 hours hasn't been wet at all.

When we were feeding the bunnies' their supper, she did move about her cage, and grunt at us and all, like she usually does, hehe. She looked quite tired. My sister put a little water on her ears, not sure why though...??? Ask her...:?

Pipp, thanks so much for the help, we'll be sure to go and monitor Lily and see what's up ASAP.

Emily

UPDATE:

Ok I just got back from checking on Lily. She was active, running around her cage and had TONS of evidence that she was eating - her mouth was full of pellets, the bowl was emptier and she was covered in hay....while her hay pile had diminished as well :p

We're still going to be keeping an eye on her though. I also massaged her belly just a tad until she didn't take it anymore, and then gave her a good nose rub as well.

All the bunnies were very active, and happy and bouncing around their cages.

Emily

Thanks. :)

Yah that's what I'm thinking. She may have just been tired, and all. We did feed later than normal because I woke up at 11:00 and they're used to being fed at 7:00 am. on school days, and then usually by 9 or 9:30 on weekends/summertime.

We're getting ready to go and do the morning feeding chores for both the rabbits and the sheep. I'm going to check on Lily too, and I'll also have my mom watch her (as we're going to our dad's house today; won't be home late tomorrow as w're going riding) so yeah.

Emily

Thanks everyone that is great advice! Sorry I wasn't on anymore last night. But as you cann tell from my sisters posts lily is better.

Latest posts

Back