Lil' Escape Artist

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

m.e.

Reaction score
Yeah, so my little devil bunny (aka Rex) got outof the pen last night. The bunnies have a pretty big dog crate to livein, plus an excersise pen attatched to the crate that goes around thefront, to play in. (their home consumes a good portion of my room)There is no top to the pen, but the sides are about three feet tall andthey've never tried to jump it.

Well, about a week ago I gave them this huge carboard box to play with,about the same height as the pen, and they've been having a blast withit. They don't have enough room to work up a running jump to the top,so, again, I wasn't worried they'd escape. But last night I saw Rextry, repeatedly, to jump up through the small hole in the top (I foldedthe cardboard panels over each other, you know, so there was a smallopening)

He had pushed another, smaller box, over to underneath that opening andhad chewed it enough that he could fit through. But the way the panelsfit, they couldn't support the weightof a full-grown rabbit.So he kept falling back through. Quite amusing to see the top half of arabbit appear briefly then disappear just as fast. I knew there was noway he could get out on top, so I ignored it and went to bed.

That little stinker continued to rack his bunny brain until he came upwith another idea. Pushing that smaller box over to the side of thelarger box, he began chewing a hole in the corner, where the top metone of the side panels. About an hour later, he managed to wriggle hisnot-so-little body through, and I woke up to the familiar tick-ticksound of bunny nails on my floor. I look down from my bed and he's onhis way out my door into the living room.

My mom saw him too, and we managed to herd him back into my room andplace one very unhappy bunny back into his pen. He was pretty mad atme, but not mad enough to enjoy a few comforting nose rubs.

I covered the pen in a sheet, reinforced it with clothespins so hecouldn't try it again, and went back to sleep, an hour or so after Ihad intended to be in bed.

Silly rabbit...

~M

"Escape from Alcatraz"

They sure are clever, ey, m.e.?

-Carolyn

BOL!!! Great story, M.E.! Thanks so much for sharing this one withus.

Looking forward to moreof Rex's escapades as I can assure you from what I've read that more are coming! :D

Rex is just a little punk when it comes to beingout of the pen. If I leave it open for them to explore my room and thehouse, chances are, he'll come out for a bit, but then head back to thecrate. He can sit and sleep in that crate for hours, but the second Imove to close the door, he's on his feet.

Peanut, on the other hand, relishes being out, and she'll explore everyroom, but she's easy to move back "home" once playtime is done.

Rabbits are funny like that...

~M

It seems like my animals have joined in a combined effort to raise my blood pressure.

Today, after walking the dog, I fed him and went to do some thingsaround the house. On my way back to my room, I noticed there was atrail of blood from my entry way into my bedroom (where the dogsstays). Well, I have owned animals long enough not to freak out rightaway, just to go and examine the situation. There was more blood in myroom...quite a bit more. And my dog is just laying there with onebloodied toe.

Now, our morning walks are not very long, just enough to do hisbusiness, and I never noticed him limp or seem injured. But the entryrug is black and the dog lays there while I prepare breakfast, so I cansee how I might have missed it at first.

So anyway, I get the cleaner out and wipe the blood off the floors(thankfully, there was no carpeting), then poured peroxide over the toeto see what had happened. It looks like one of his toenails had ajagged edge, and had dug into the toe next to it. It really wasn't avery large wound, but being as it was on the foot, it bled quite a bit.Luckily, everything is all better now, and the dog's just upset I hadto handle his feet (he hates that)

So, after bunny-Houdini and finding blood all over my floor, I'm kind of just waiting for my hamster to give me a scare.

~M

Oh, bless your heart, M.E.! It's justone thing after another with our precious furbabies, isn'tit? :( Glad to read that your dog's injury wasn'tworse than it actually was. Kudos to you for not freaking outbefore you discovered the source of the blood. I probablywould have been running through the halls shrieking like a banshee!

Here's hoping that everything settles down at your house now (at least until you can get your second breath). :)

Latest posts

Back