Light or Dark?

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Fergi

Reaction score
Right here..."pointing finger to pa, Minnesota, US
I have searched the web for a solid answer tothis question and was unable to find an answer soooo...I am hopingsomeone on here can help me out. My bunnies are in stacked cages in analcove like area in my kitchen that has no direct light source. Itstays semi-dark in there during the daytime. In the evening I turn on ahalogen desk lamp for them until I go to bed. I do take my buns outregularly (weather permitting) so they do get some natural sunlight. Isthis adequate light for them? I don't want them to develop any eyesight issues. I appreciate any input :)

Fergi's mom

I don't know if that has any effect on theircircadian rhythm or not. Doesn't sound very appealing to me,but then I am not a rabbit. I remember trying to raiseparrakeets in my basement, without success, for months. ThenI placed cages near the window and they were popping eggs like notomorrow. But, then again, they weren't rabbits either.

Buck

Hi Buck,

I thank you for your response. I would like to ask one more questionthough if you don't mind. In the wild rabbits spend the day hours in aburrow and come out at dusk until dawn. If this is the case would onenot assume then that rabbits do not require hours of light during theirday? I am in no way trying to be rude, just curious. On the plus sidemy bunnies have the opportunity to come out into the house during theday (I'm an at-home, on-line college student and mom) although it seemsas though they prefer to stay in my hallway which is really dark!

I appreciate your time Buck,

Fergi's mom

actually I had similar concerns.I don't leavedirect sun light shining at my bunny. I am sure he won't like it.Although my flowers love it.
I read somewhere that bunnies feel better in the shade.

The ideal amount of lighting for domestic rabbits has not be established.

You can use broad spectrum lights on timers to emulate daylight hoursin your area. One of my friends even went so far as to have alighting system set up to gradually lighten and darken, simulating duskand dawn.

Commercial producers set a 16 hour day of light, and 8 hours of darkness.

Because we use heat lamps in the porcelain ceiling fixtures to keep ourrabbitry above freezing, our rabbits have light 24/7 during the wintermonths.

Pam

Good question, Fergi. :)

I've often wondered myself.

Since my rabbits (and many in the wild's) favorite time to be active isat dawn and dusk, I've always just gone on that premise that that colorlighting is their favorite.

It's so adorable to see wild rabbits frolicking at those times.

I shall follow this post because I've always wondered about thismyself. I look forward to what people have to say about it. I open allthe blindes for my rabbits each morning so they can see what kind ofday it is outside, but they're away from the drafts and sun of thewindows. I actually have them on the other side of the room.

Hi AnneS,

You're wise not to keep the direct sun on your rabbits as you know thatthey quickly can suffer sunstroke and it's hard to bring them out ofthat. It happens quickly.

-Carolyn

P.S. Sorry, Fergi. I was speaking as a pet owner as to what their'favorite' lighting would be. Your question wasn't that now that I lookback, but Pam's response was right on the money. *High Five* Pam!

Fergi wrote:
Hi Buck,

I thank you for your response. I would like to ask one more questionthough if you don't mind. In the wild rabbits spend the day hours in aburrow and come out at dusk until dawn. If this is the case would onenot assume then that rabbits do not require hours of light during theirday? I am in no way trying to be rude, just curious. On the plus sidemy bunnies have the opportunity to come out into the house during theday (I'm an at-home, on-line college student and mom) although it seemsas though they prefer to stay in my hallway which is really dark!

Fergi's mom

It is true that only limited hours of sunlight are required for thebody to manufacture vitamin D, and that the lighting requirements ofrabbits is probably less than that of creatures active during thedaylight hours. Studies have not been able to provide theideal number of daylight hours that a domestic rabbit would require.

Studies have been done on daylight hours, circadian rhythm, andbreeding. Studies have indicated that rabbits must have aperiod of darkness as well as long daylight hours, however, our rabbitshave produced well during cold months with no period of darkness, as wekeep the lights on 24/7 in the winter.

Pam

Thank you so much for this information, Pam. :dude:

That's a keeper for my binder!

-Carolyn

My bunnies are in almost entirely naturallighting, and I have noticed that they are active right on cue (dawnand dusk), and they start eating more in the winter when the light hasbegun to fade, even though they do not need the extra weight to keepwarm. They also do fall and spring molts.

I've never noticed it with my bunnies, but with other animals that I'vehad (like ferrets and hamsters), they do noticably better in naturallighting. Strange...

The cats, on the other hand. Oi vei. Few people realize that cats arenaturally nocturnal. And the kittens are in a naturally lighted room,so all night they're tearing around like little monsters:D

Fergi wrote:
Hi Buck,

I thank you for your response. I would like to ask one more questionthough if you don't mind. In the wild rabbits spend the day hours in aburrow and come out at dusk until dawn. If this is the case would onenot assume then that rabbits do not require hours of light during theirday? I am in no way trying to be rude, just curious....

Fergi's mom
Certainly, no offense taken, and I think you made some very valid andinteresting points. Fortunately, we have our own Mrs. Nock togive us the straight skinny, eh?

I'm retired, so time is something that is not pressing forme. Glad to help any time that I can, and feel fortunate tolearn something new, as this thread you started has enabled me to do.

I appreciate your interest and curiosity, Fergie's mom.

Buck

Latest posts

Back