Life With Charlie!

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Nikki_Shortstuff

Reaction score
Hi! So I'm new to the blogging thing, and the bunny world! I'm excited to share with you all my experiences with my new baby bunny!

This, is Charlie. =)

SAM_3255.jpg

Only 7 weeks old, Charlie is just a baby. He's a dwarf lop rabbit. The story of how I got Charlie, I consider more than a chance, but like it was meant to be. Sounds corny, but read on. =)

I'll start by saying I walk to work. I work at Wendy's, you know, the fast food restaurant, ha ha! It's only a 20-25 minute walk, I take advantage of it as my daily exercise. One morning I had a strange feeling, I just wanted to get to work 30 minutes early, now I never want to do that but somehow I was convinced I wanted to leave early, so I did. I was walking to work when a guy comes out of his car and says "Hey, I know you from Wendy's!" It was a customer I once served at the drive-through. He recognized me and was eager to show me a pet store. "A pet store?" I wondered, I had no clue there was one right there. It was owned by him, and all his animals he gets from breeders, it was also pretty small. I thought "Hey why not? I have 30 minutes to spare."

So I walked around, and there he was. Charlie and his brother, hopping around. No other animal caught my eye, the moment I saw Charlie, I knew I had to bring him home with me.

The pet store owner let me hold Charlie, he's the cutest thing I've ever seen. I've had a parrot, and hamsters in the past, but never a rabbit.

So I did my research, bought a book from the man later that afternoon. Looked up as many rabbit sites as I could on the internet and tried to absorb as much information as I could. I read that rabbits took a lot of effort to take care of but I was willing to do it.

Now came the convincing. At first my boyfriend (who I live with) wasn't so sure, but after a while he started liking the idea of a bunny, and after showing him several dwarf rabbit videos on youtube, he agreed to get one.

And so our adventure started, less than a week later Charlie arrived in our home. At first he was a little scared. As you can see he stayed in the corner of his cage. (Aw!)

SAM_3227.jpg

However it took only a day for him to warm up to us. He was eating, drinking, hopping and licking our faces!

SAM_3239.jpg
SAM_3231.jpg

Here he's giving my boyfriend kisses!

SAM_3234-1.jpg

So here's the beginning of our lives together. My boyfriend already adores him, and I absolutely love him. Can you believe it's only been 4 days, we're already in love, he's like our baby! Ha ha.

I really think it was meant to be. What were the chances of me leaving 30 minutes early for work, and bumping into the pet store man the moment he came out of his car?

I'll leave it up to you to decide. ;)

A few minutes ago Charlie was introduced to the long haired chihuahua, Tinkerbelle who belongs to my boyfriend's mom. Tinkerbelle curiously sniffed Charlie, and Charlie did the same to Tinkerbelle. Tinkerbelle's a really sweet, gentle, dog so she didn't bark or chase Charlie. She seemed kinda scared, thinking "what is that thing??" Ha ha! It was amazing to see their interaction!

Right now Charlie's getting his morning exercise outside of his cage. I let him out every morning before I go to work, I hate leaving him in his cage. When I put him back inside he stands on his hind legs, grabs the bars with his front paws, and looks at me as if he's saying "Let me out!". He acts like he's in jail. :rollseyes

I took this photo last night. He's so comfortable with me and my boyfriend now, he likes to just hang out and lay next to us. Look at his little foot in the back stick out! =)

SAM_3243.jpg

He looks like a very happy bunny, it sounds like you were meant to be owned by Charlie. I hope he is training you to be a good bunny slave.

My dogs always get up and move to another spot when one of my bunny's comes near them.

You have come to a great site RO is very active.

I can't wait to read more about Charlie. I have a huge soft spot for lops. well, bunnies in general of course!but lops have this puppy face, that round, full sweet face.

It definitely sounds like it was meant to be.

welcome to bunny love..you'll never be the same again. :)

Charlie is very cute! I have a brother named Charlie who recently moved to San Antonio, but your Charlie is much cuter :)

Charlie is very cute! I love the lil lops ;)

I moved back here from San Antonio last year. I miss it alot! But I don't miss the traffic. We lived off of Stone Oak Parkway and it was a nightmare.

Thanks guys! I'm glad you all like him! He is a cutie, I don't know how anyone can resist that adorable face!

@Dave, I'm so glad I came here, I love all the activity! And I feel like I'm not the only one obsessed over a bunny, ha ha!

@Tristana, I agree, their faces are just adorable! In the first photo of him in my RO blog he kind of looks like a little puppy, ha ha. =)

@Christina, oh my gosh, you are the second person to tell me they have a brother named Charlie the moment I said Charlie's my rabbits name. Ha ha!

@Suze, before SA I lived in temporarily New Jersey for a month, the traffic there was WORSE, ha ha. Imagine rush hour after work, all the cars coming back from New York, what a disaster!

Hey all! So it turns out Charlie is actually a HOLLAND LOP not a "Dwarf Lop", my bad! Ha ha. I thought you call them dwarf lops but the correct term is "Holland Lop". I went back to the pet store today just to talk to the owner (we've become acquaintances now and I visit him when I'm passing by), and he said Charlie's a holland lop. Which is smaller than a mini lop rabbit, so I'm guessing he's really really small? Ha ha. Told you guys I'm new to the bunny world! It's good to know for sure his breed now. :p

In other news, I'm happy Charlie finally ate his pellets today! I was concerned he hasn't taken a bite from the pellets since we brought him to live with us -literally. (It's been about 5 days now.) I barely fill his bowl since I read you shouldn't give too much pellets to rabbits, I don't want him to end up all fat. I give him unlimited timothy hay which he loves, and he adores the peanuts and almonds I give him as a treat. Very rarely I give him raisins, one a day and sometimes never -he seems to go crazy over those though. Every time I shown him the pellets in the past he would sniff and ignore. I started getting worried that he wasn't getting enough nutrients, but today I just sighed and put the bowl in front of him, and he started nibbling away! I immediately told my boyfriend to look over, we're happy our baby's now eating well!

Of course, the crazy mother I now am to my baby bunny, I had to capture this moment on camera. :wink

SAM_3259.jpg

Charlie is soooooo cute!!!! No wonder you and your boyfriend fell in love with him instantly. I wish all the best to the 3 of you!
* are you considering having more "babies" (little brothers and/or sisters for Charlie?) hehe

Nikki, stretching the back legs out like that is a sign of a VERY relaxed and comfortable bunny!

Glad he's finally eating!

:happyrabbit:
Mary Anne

@Vivian, ha ha, yes I have thought about having more "babies" but right now me and my boyfriend are fine with just Charlie. He's already a handful and occupies a lot of our time and attention, having another would be twice as much work! Lol, not that it's a bad thing, but I don't think I would have enough time if I got more, plus, we need more room and a bigger cage, and with my minimum wage job I wouldn't be able to afford to take care of all of them. One day but not now. :( I really want a dwarf hotot though, ha ha, those things are cute!

@Mary Anne, I'm surprised it only took a day for Charlie to warm up to us! He's a very friendly bunny! And thank you, I'm glad he's eating his pellets too, I wanted him to get all the nutrients he can get, I was afraid that he wasn't getting all the vitamins out of just the hay. :rollseyes

@Helen, Aw, thank you! His little nose is adorable, ha ha! >_< I like the little black stripe he has on his back too, it makes him unique. His tail has bits of black too. =)

Almost a week now since I've gotten Charlie! (I got him last Friday.) And I've learn a few things, he has a personality. He is definately a curious, fiesty, naughty, little brat! Ha ha, but we love him. ;)

When he chews on our carpet, we make a high pitched noise to tell him to stop, he doesn't even fidget anymore. He knows he's in trouble, but he doesn't care! Lol!

And somehow, the moment I pick up his bag of treats and he hears that crinkling noise, he runs over! He knows it's treat time! What a clever bunny!

I took a video so you can all see. At first it's kinda dark but it brightens up after I give him his treat. Yeah, I'm in my pajamas too. I hate my voice! It sounds so different recorded. :shock:

Ha ha, I swear he looks like a little puppy with those long floppy ears.

[flash=425,344]http://www.youtube.com/v/nrKCng0KYQY&hl=en&fs=1[/flash]
[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nrKCng0KYQY] [/ame]

Very adorable. Since he's young and growing you can give him an unlimited amount of pellets and might want to get some alfalfa as it is higher in protein and calcium than hay.

he looks so tiny..r u sure of his age?...hes absolutely positively the cutest little thing.....:)..well be needing lots of pics and vids of him growing up ...:)

and ur dont stop believing vid was cute..hehe:):clapping:

Very wise of you to keep 1 happy bunny instead of more unhappy ones!
And I guess you can see: everybody loves baby bunnies!! Charlie is really cute!

I would avoid giving any nuts to your bunny. They are not easily digestable. Fruit treats are good, I give mine unsweetened craisins and banana chips.

Latest posts

Back