Licking, Grooming, or Kissing

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bobbyv

Reaction score
Hi,

We have a Netherland Dwarf (10 months) and he loves to lick my face. At first, I thought he was going for the salt/oil on my skin. However, he'll keep on licking for minutes on end and really likes to go for the eyelids. If I turn my head, he'll just keep licking my hair.

He won't do this for my wife or daughter, though. Maybe just a few kisses for them. Has he selected me for grooming?

It's funny because he can't seem to resist the temptation. He might be sprawled behind a bookcase and I'll lay down on the floor so he can see me and with a few seconds, he comes out and goes straight to licking my face.

Is this normal behavior?

I love it, but just wanted to know the reasoning behind it.

Thanks,

BobbyV

Aww, he's grooming you because he loves you!

My bun will groom my husband but rarely grooms me (unless I bribe him with food) so it's perfectly normal for them to groom some people and not others. I also think it can depend on how you taste/smell - my bun trusts me more than my husband and we have a better relationship, but I think he doesn't like to kiss me because the moisturizes and things I use smell funny.

bobbyv wrote:
Hi,

We have a Netherland Dwarf (10 months) and he loves to lick my face. At first, I thought he was going for the salt/oil on my skin. However, he'll keep on licking for minutes on end and really likes to go for the eyelids. If I turn my head, he'll just keep licking my hair.

He won't do this for my wife or daughter, though. Maybe just a few kisses for them. Has he selected me for grooming?

It's funny because he can't seem to resist the temptation. He might be sprawled behind a bookcase and I'll lay down on the floor so he can see me and with a few seconds, he comes out and goes straight to licking my face.

Is this normal behavior?

I love it, but just wanted to know the reasoning behind it.

Thanks,

BobbyV
rabbit behavior,,is one good reason we have them,..beans is in love:inlove:,,i get the same treatment from my rex,s-and,havana,s,,however my cottontail-(dfferent species)-gives my nose kisses then runs down to my feet and bites me,,he will be 4 yrs.old tomarrow--easter baby...sincerely james waller:wave::rose::biggrin2::bunnydance:

Lol that's lovely. Reminds me of Benji. At first I thought he was after the salts on my skin too!! It was just constant licking- my eyelids too!!!! :D. So I bought him a mineral salt lick thing. He ignored it...as he would....and then after a few weeks I realised it was grooming- because he loved me!

It sounds like he really loves you! Some rabbits will connect better with some humans, just like any animals, so I think he might have a widdle soft spot for you!

Reciprocate with lots and lots of nose rubs, ear scratches and chin rubs :p :D

Yep that sounds all very familiar.

Chop is a big licker but it only ever started when my boyfriend was up all one night with him when he had an essay to finish.
He prefers to lick bare skin and will nudge my sleeve out of the way with his nose to make sure he has a prime kissing spot!

It makes my heart want to pop everytime he does it!!! :inlove:

Back