Lhousio enlarged testicles castrated and spayed

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Lhucky

Reaction score
Today, we've decided to get Lhousio fixed, since Doc Nielsen Donato successful castration in 1 of our male bunny, Thor, last Aug.

But their scenarios were a total opposite, which leaves me quite confused....

With Thor, even before his operations not quite done yet, movement were very noticeable. After operation, doc hand him back to me, his groggy but moves a lot.

Maybe because Lhousio was castrated and spayed both at the same time, it took him almost 2 hours before he could sit on his own... When doc hand him back to me, he looked like he had had head tilt, no movements whatsoever... Doc Nielsen first decided to castrate the descended testicle. After castration, he said he felt the other undescended testicle right around his tummy, which by touch, he said looks like enlarge also. Lhousio was taken to the ultrasound room, and doc said to us that it's better if he could take it out today as well... After about 2-3 minutes operation was done. So fast.... Faster than castration.... Well, add the time they sedate my bunny, shaved, waiting for the sedative to take effect, operation then sutures... Castration looks longer. (I'll try to upload the video we took earlier later)

Now, my problem, since 9 am before operation, he had ate quite a few strands of Pandan leaves. After operation about 12 noon, he still haven't eat nor drink. How long do we have to wait for him to start eating again? As I've said, his scenario with my other male bunny are different, Thor starts to nibble a few strands of hay an hour after operation. It's now 5pm, 5 hours had passed, my Lhousio looked lethargic... His a very active bunny... He's our only bunny that hops up and down the stairs... He bites when touched, he kicks hard when handled, his our Special, scary, intelligent & aggressive bunny...

Also, can anyone tell me about the spray they sprayed into Lhousios tummy down to his groin, it's very sticky, and silver in color. ( is it poisonous to him ? Doc never mentioned anything about it, but insisted of using the E-collar so that he wouldn't lick his sutures. ) His licking it now, we removed his Elizabeth collar bec we want to see if he'll eat on his own. He did munch 2 - 4 strands of hay just now. And drinks few cc's of sub-q fluid in the bowl.

Also when we put the E-collar, I've heard him breathing loudly, do we have to loosen the collar? Or he just need time to adjust wearing it?

The anesthesia can affect rabbits differently. I got two of my boy rabbits neutered at the same time, and one started eating again that same day, the other would barely touch anything for two days, because the after effects of the anesthesia made him feel nauseous for that long. It wasn't due to pain that he wasn't eating as he was getting metacam for it, and he was hopping around fine, he just wouldn't eat much. He wouldn't eat hay or his rabbit food but he would eat little bits of leafy greens, so for the next two days I just kept feeding him little bits of leafy greens when ever he would take some. I felt like he was getting enough food and water this way or I would have started syringe feeding him if I had needed to. You never want a rabbit to go too long without food and water.

You could ask your vet about the spray. It could be silver sulfadiazine. It is an antibacterial. I'm not aware of it being bad for rabbits.

I'm glad he's started to eat and drink a little. It's always so relieving when they finally do that. I'm not a big fan of those e collars. For some rabbits they can cause a lot of stress and can even cause the rabbit to become depressed. The loud breathing could mean it is too tight or that he is feeling very stressed with it on, and we know that it can be bad for rabbits to stay stressed for too long. I would only use one if absolutely necessary and as a last resort. You don't want him trying to chew his incision open, but not all rabbits will mess with the incision. Most don't, but it is something to keep a very close eye on. If you are worried about him trying to chew at the incision, there are other things you can try to prevent him from doing it. Wrapping the belly area with vet wrap sometimes works, or fashioning a donut collar, there are also soft collars that may be less stressful. Which ever you use, just make sure that it isn't done up too tight. You do have to make sure your rabbit doesn't chew at the vet wrap though, as ingesting pieces of it would not be good.

http://www.rabbitsonline.net/f18/monty-my-big-baby-bunny-2012-a-68956/index25.html
http://www.rabbitsonline.net/f18/arizona-lion-giants-blog-72663/index2.html
http://www.rabbitsonline.net/f27/sophie-spayed-pulling-her-stitches-out-32808/

my bunny's castration videos...

i don't know why his testicles are filled with water... vet actually did not make any more tests, ( happy to hear from vet that it's water not pee nor pus )... hoping that after his operation, everything will be alright :happybunny:... now that his fixed, my hopes are high that his aggressive behaviour would lessen if not eliminated hehehe....

https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?v=355639477903995&set=vb.100003738378864&type=2&theater

https://www.facebook.com/profile.ph...465933983313&set=vb.1719948576&type=2&theater

Sometimes there can be some swelling after a neuter, but it should gradually go down in a few days. If it doesn't or gets worse, then you will want to tell your vet. Does your bun seem to be feeling better and eating ok after his surgery?

Neutering can make a big difference in behavior for lots of rabbits. I hope it does for your bun too. Dealing with an aggressive rabbit is never fun.

Thanks for sharing the videos of his surgeries. They were very interesting to watch.

Stitches have been sprayed with silver liquid... Hard to tell if there's swelling... We just check if there's any loosen thread. At night, we put on the e-collar afraid that when nobody's around he'd try to pull the threads while we're asleep. (it's been 4 days since operation, maybe we can stop using it, plus we can tell that his not happy wearing it) on Wed we have to go back to remove the stitches! Yey!

I still get few attacks every now and then, Hehehe... Mostly when we put on the collar c",$ but he can be petted now more frequently. (with the use of a comb.. his mouth automatically opens up when touched, but would lie down once he feel it's the comb, after 10 mins of combing then I can use my hands.. he's already relaxed.)

Lhousio's stitches has been removed yesterday, everyone at the hospital loved him, he even let them touch and carry him without hurting them... when we arrived home, I Sat in front of him and told him how many people adored him while I'm petting him and I've heard him grind his teeth loudly, not in pain but more like happy grinding sound!
is this really the start of Lhousio's big change???

Excited to have my Lhousio back in his sweet scary behavior c",$ :rabbithop:rabbithop:rabbithop:rabbithop:rabbithop

Sexually frustrated hormonal male rabbits, can sometimes act out with aggression and will just be grumpy when they aren't allowed to do what they are naturally inclined to want to do. I'm so glad the neuter is working out well for your bun, and hopefully this is just the first sign of a change for the better in Lhousio. Hopefully this will make him a much happier sweeter bunny :)

Hi I just signed on to this forum, just had my male rabbit Doozy Bear neutered yesterday- He cried because his eyes were wet when I picked him up. It is a very traumatic experience for some rabbits, mine was a rescue bunny and I feel in spirit it may not have been the very best choice for him. He began to eat yesterday, I kept it simple- a bit of lettuce and parsley and hay. He went for water and lettuce first. Took a while and began using the bathroom late last night with pain. He has been good so far with licking the wound- as far as I can see it is pink and not red, so that is a good sign. He had minor aggression issues when he first came to us, but it calmed down within the first two weeks because of our attitudes of love toward him. The reasoning involved with the decision of neuter for him was not because of aggression, but for marking territory and rebellious behavior. Since he still does not feel great, he is very docile now and only time will tell if it was all worth it. When he is back to full health it will be a wonderful day!

Lhousio's having this odd behavior that he keeps on changing his home... As some of you may know, he used to be caged for almost 2 years, because of pain and or hormones problem..

after a month of being caged to let the sutures heal well... His now more tamed. (we still heard him grunts when we're near. attacks "sometimes" when something or someone passed by in front of him but other than that, his more relaxed and healthy now.) But he keeps on changing were he wants to stay... 1st, his cage that we used to contained him, then became the top caged and then he wants to stay downstairs ( but we didn't want him to stay there so we never leave any foods nor hay downstairs, even if he have nothing to eat for 5-8 hours downstairs, he still stayed that long then. And now his back to his cage...

And because his more tamed now, we never closed his door anymore, meaning his a free roam bunny except when we clean the area which is less than an hour or two every day...
I'm not really worried, just thinking of how to let him stay in 1 place... When he doesn't want to go to his cage to eat and drink, we put his food and water where he wants to stay except when his downstairs.. I used to chase him just to come up. His a very very fast runner! :p whew!

Also, we think the baby on top of him is his... We contained him for a month before we bond him with our lady Ohreo... Ohreo gave birth 1st week of January this year... Is it possible? His been castrated for that long still can have baby? Unfortunately, most babies past away... Left this adorable Pho... (hopefully he'll survive... As we've done our best to save the other 5 babies with our vet... But passed away almost every day for the past 2 weeks)

Also, his ok when babies passed by in front of him, he never charged them... (very passionate father :D) but if it's our hand or Ohreo, he'll charged us and there's a very distinct sound of grunts! And his hands ready to box ( very Scary bunny :what:) will that behavior go away on its own? Or do we need to do something about it to stop the unwanted behavior? (although, I never used hand protection while we interact with him, we never put our hands near his mouth when we want to pet him... Usually, we pet him from behind working on his ears down to his body (sometimes, he'll try to reach for our hands, sometimes he'll run away, and sometimes he'll let us touch him with happy grinding sound)

A story about taking Lhousio outside for a run...
We have a nearby newly opened mall that have a very big Carabao grass land for pets I think... We let them eat the grass there as it's fertilizer free... ( according to guards on duty said )
We'll go there once a month or if my husband free at night, and because it's open until 2am every day... We usually go there at night, 1 night we took Lhousio there... There were kids amused by Lhousio's looks... ( I was so scared to let them come near him, as his aggressive towards me then... But there's this family with kids come near him.. he did not attack but rather show his sweet perfect bunny pet behavior on them... I even get a lick from him there! Then after he ate for about 2 hours we go for a coffee... I put him on a chair in front of me, but he wants to stay in my lap... I was so touched that I wanted to cry there! I tried putting him back to the chair. He jumps back to my lap!! Yey!!! Put him back one last try to the chair, and came jumping back at me with a nip and a box this time... We even heard the customer besides us saying that they envy me and that I have a very cute and affectionate bunny that they want 1 also...

But that behavior last only when his not at home... Back home... His also back to his own self... Keeps on running away from us...

1391039409721.jpg

1391039451093.jpg

1391039517441.jpg

1391039581139.jpg

The place where we took them for a run and to have grass buffet.. and his perfect bunny behavior at a coffee shop

1391043374660.jpg

1391043443281.jpg

Maybe he considers your whole home, his home now :p If you don't shut him in a cage at night or anything, then it's likely that he is just very comfortable in all parts of your home now, and sees it as his home too. If you only want to feed him in a particular area, then just continue to feed in that one spot and pretty much the same time(like morning and evening) every day. Just call him when it's time to eat and he should come running.

Almost always viable sperm will be gone by a month after getting castrated, but I have heard of the possibility of there still being viable sperm at 6 weeks. So if Ohreo wasn't with another unaltered male rabbit, then Lhousio must have still had some sperm left, so he would have to be the babies dad. That picture of his baby resting on top of him is absolutely adorable :inlove: And it looks very happy snuggled up with it's dad.

It sounds like Lhousio is just a very territorial bunny, and they can be that way even when they have been castrated. It also sounds like he thinks he's the boss of the house :p You may be able to teach him not to be aggressive, but it may take a long time and a lot of work, since he's been this way for so long. This video may help you. It shows one couple working with their aggressive rabbit.

[ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HxV0j7SwBbk[/ame]

This link has info on helping you bond with your rabbit. There may be something in there that can help you have a closer bond with Lhousio.
http://www.rabbitsonline.net/f28/bonding-your-bunny-29064/

I think he felt very safe with you when you took him out to the mall. Though my rabbits like me and want pets, some of them don't want to snuggle, but when I take them to a new place, sometimes they will sit on my lap or stay close to me, because it makes them feel safe. So with Lhousio sitting on your lap, even though he doesn't normally like to snuggle at home, he does trust you and feel safe with you. And the nip and box, was to let you know that he wanted to stay on your lap and to stop taking him off :) Some rabbits just aren't normally very snuggly. I have rabbits that love to snuggle and others that don't want me holding them at all. It doesn't mean they don't like me, especially since they like for me to pet them, it's just not their personality. But it's a shame Lhousio isn't a snuggle bun, since a cute fluffy bun like him should just be begging to get snuggles :p

It's year of the Horse! How come there's no written prediction that I should be aware of sharp teeth?? I read about being careful with needles and sharp objets.... Haiiizz

Atleast, I have a water proof band aid to lessen the pain :sly:

Also, his bite wasn't that hard anymore... No more clinging on to my skin until it felt like being ripped off of me. Hehehe :)

1391317106337.jpg

They can be little devils sometimes :p I've had a few bites myself, but not usually enough to draw blood.

Back