Lettuce

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

gwhoosh

Reaction score
Is there a good way to keep lettuce? Can you freeze it?....

Whenever there's a buy one get one sale on lettuce, I always buy it because, of course, it's cheaper! But since I only have one bunny, she can't eat it all before it goes bad :? Usually I just freeze extra stuff, but something tells me freezing lettuce might not work out well.

Any tips or ideas? :D

I wash it really good , wrap it in a small dishcloth (works better than paper towels )and place it an a plastic container with a lid in the fridge.

it really lasts a long time this way.

Freezing it will destoy it.

Produce doesn't get a chance to go bad when you have 8 bunnies like me.:biggrin2:

However, I've wondered if those Debbie Meyer Green Bags are worth buying.
The ones they advertise on TV that are supposed to keep your produce fresher longer.

ha ha Jim i thought about getting them for cilantro and the green pepper for the piggies. But lettuces dont sit here long enough to go bad in my house either,lol. I would be nice to get all my veggies for a week or two at a time then going two times a week

angieluv wrote:
cilantro is the" hopeless to keep fresh" veggie :(

If I did the same thing with cilantro that I do with lettuce I would ruin it.

I planted cilantto in the garden this year, I'm thinking about digging it up at the end of the season and trying to keep it alive in the house. Worth a try, I'm tired of throwing it away.

spoh wrote:
angieluv wrote:
cilantro is the" hopeless to keep fresh" veggie :(

If I did the same thing with cilantro that I do with lettuce I would ruin it.

I planted cilantto in the garden this year, I'm thinking about digging it up at the end of the season and trying to keep it alive in the house. Worth a try, I'm tired of throwing it away
:yeahthat:Couldn't grow it where I lived in the winter.. such a hopelessly fragile plant with a short life-span

I keep my veggies in those big "Lock & Lock" containers, the ones with the silicone seals and the flaps that keep the lids on tight. I've got 2 19qt ones, for parsley and cilantro, and a 23qt one for lettuce. They all have little trays at the bottom for drainage, and the 3 stacked together fit on the bottom shelf of my fridge.

The 19qt ones hold 3-5 bundles of parsley or cilantro, and the 23qt one holds 2 medium heads of leaf lettuce.

I rinse the veggies and put them in the containers, hold the lid on and shake a little bit. That seems to get a lot of the water off, and I can just pour it out. There's usually a little bit of water for a couple days, I just drain it off. The seals are airtight, so the veggies stay pretty fresh. (I can keep grapes fresh for 2 weeks in a similar container!)

If everything is *really* fresh when I prepare it, it will last about a week. (This is how long this many veggies last for me.) Most of the time I will find a few bad leaves here and there, when I am making salads in the morning, I will just toss those out as I go.
I let the containers empty out completely between uses, and rinse them really well before putting new veggies in. Every 3-4 weeks I will run them through the dishwasher to make sure they are sterile.

I used to just toss the veg in the fridge in the store plastic bags, but a lot of it went bad, it took up a lot of room, and it was a pain to wash it since I do salads in the morning. Now I just spend about 20 minutes rinsing everything, once a week, and just throw handfuls into the bowls. If I want to feed wet veggies, a quick swipe under the faucet does the trick.

Thanks for the suggestions guys! I was pretty sure freezing would be really bad, but I figured it would hurt to ask, hahaha.

I guess I'll just not buy two bags at once, that seems best. Or maybe have one for me? :D I'm going to look into those special container thingys.

Those "Green Bags" are a waste of money according to Consumer Reports.
When we but greens we remove them from the bags, wrap them tightly in white towels, put them back in their bags and seal from air. Most keep fresh for weeks.

Latest posts

Back