Letting my bunnies in the garden?

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mariethomas

Reaction score
I live in a large house with a garden/lawn with so many different types of flowers...plants, you name it. It isn't mine so I have no control over it, but I can let my bunnies play in it whenever. The weather has been nice lately and I feel my bunnies are missing it by not being able to play outside. They have access to the entire house, although only my older one Casper goes up and down staircases, and the entire house. My younger rabbit is too scared and sticks to upstairs only.

The problem is, I know that there is definitely some plants in the yard that are harmful to bunnies. I will post a general picture of the garden. None of them are able to escape because we have dogs as well, and we have guarded everything up.
I constantly check the plants/flowers, but I wouldn't be able to remove them anyway. Just make sure that no one consumes them. I know Casper won't eat much, just run around. But Korn chews and eats everything in sight from my iPhone cases to hanging decorations. So I know he definitely will try to eat everything. Also, he is very hard to handle and he does not let me pick him up easily.

Would anyone even recommend using a bunny harness? I'd still have to buy it, but I have one harness that almost fits Casper. It's from a dachshund I have.
I know people buy dog X pens and then put there bunnies inside, but my bunnies won't tolerate being caged up and jump very high and everywhere in the house...and through baby gates. I also have never seen one of those where I live. So in the mean time is it advisable to let them play outside without all this stuff?

Thanks. :)

FEBRUARY 28TH 2014 CAMERA 151.jpg

FEBRUARY 28TH 2014 CAMERA 152.jpg

FEBRUARY 28TH 2014 CAMERA 154.jpg

I wouldn't let a rabbit run out there, as you said too many problem plants. I'd put and exercise pen in the clear grass area, assuming it is not treated with any chemicals at all and I had cleaned any dog messes up first. If it's treated at all, I wouldn't even put a rabbit out there. They can run around indoors and be fine. If you think they need sunshine, a window does just fine and, you could grow som safe plants in small trays for them to have indoors if you want them to have that.

I should have mentioned that my dogs do not live in this part. So there messes aren't a problem. And nothing is treated with chemicals, we avoid that. Thank you.

Then I'd get or make a pen that could go on the grass where a rabbit couldn't get to any of the other plants and use that. A folding exercise pen would work well, then you can just fold it up and put it away when you bring the rabbits in. That way, the pen isn't in the way when you want to use the space out there for something else and, your bunnies won't eat anything they shouldn't but will get some outside time.

Also with them being on the ground outside, you will want to ask your vet about worming them.

Is this Marie? Hi there, for starters all those palms are killers for any animals including rabbits. Sago Palms and the other type of palms I see there are toxic. Most of the flowers are as well. I would just keep them on grass and use a harness or put them in a Xpen etc..

Otherwise your garden looks great. Last time I had palms like those was in South carolina!

Vanessa

I see some BIG dandelion's growing near the red flowers. I would be picking those asap and feeding those leaves to the bunnies! BTW, when I first opened the app it did not show your name! Sorry Marie!!!

Vanessa

Yes it's Marie. There is a lot so I don't always cut all of them. I'm definitely going to have to find an x-pen. Thank you!

Have a look on google for a poisons plants list and pictures if there aren't any hazardous plants why not? But if there are you could either supervise them or buy them an outdoor run.

I've looked several times and sadly some of the plants in the garden do fit the description so I think it's best if I stick with an X pen. :) Thanks everyone.

Latest posts

Back