Letter from a Shelter Manager

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
This is so sad really.

I am dealing with my guinea pigs being rehomed. I would have neverrehomed them if the home we are moving into allowed them. but she onlyallowed one pet our dog.

I know that 90 percent of small animals from rats to rabbits get putdown in one day. I called my local shelter about guinea pigs if someonehad to take them there. They said to me that they will takethem and be put to sleep the moment they hit the door.

How sad is that. My husband and I thought about being a breeder foreither rabbits or pigs, but when I found out how many rabbits and pigsthat needed homes, we put a halt there. I have my own site and I postas much news and information like this on there.

I had 3 of my babies put to sleep due to illness, I was with my dogwhen they did the stuff and I did not like it one bit. When they putthe first shot in him he becomes paralyzed and only could move hiseyes. Broke my heart really. But I was able to burry my own dog.

Snuggy's Mom can I add that to my website so I can put the word out.

I've been reading this post and the responsesoff and on for the last few weeks. I keep saying to myself, "Biteyour tongue Peg. Let the discussion go. Don't respond."

I'm sick of biting my tongue over this discussion. So I'm going to respond - as a breeder.

The person who originally wrote the message which has been shared saidin their post, " My point to all of this DON'T BREED OR BUY WHILESHELTER PETS DIE!"

Well that is just great....our nearest shelter is 135 miles away - IFthey have rabbits. When I look on petfinder - the nearest one I seethat has rabbits is 200 miles away.

So everyone within 200 miles is supposed to drive there to get one ofthose rabbits. Right...like they're going to do that. Yep....wanna buythe Brooklyn Bridge from me too?

I agree that people should not breed irresponsibly. I agree thatbreeders should never turn their animals in to shelters and only bewilling to breed what they can find homes for.

Do you know where most RESPONSIBLE breeders find homes for theirrabbits? Usually with people who show rabbits...eitherthrough their websites (selling them) or through taking rabbits torabbit shows (where many folks love to go to pick up a rabbit). Yes,some may have local outlets where they sell their rabbitstoo. But a good breeder (which I consider myself one) willnot "overbreed" what they know they can handle for homing bunnies - andthey will breed for a quality rabbit - not just for show qualities butfor good health.

I agree with the original letter - there are bad breeders out there andI think they should be shut down. BUT NOT EVERY BREEDER IS BAD - ANDI'M SICK OF THE MENTALITY THAT THEY ARE....

It's funny how many people want to go to the rabbitry area and say,"Can you ID my bunny?" but then they might turn around and knockbreeders - who are the very ones who helped them....

I've had breeders that I would take my rabbit to BEFORE I'd take themto a vet because they are so knowledgeable about rabbits whereby vetsoften handle only a few cases per year. (This does not mean I don'trecommend vets...please don't misunderstand me. But a knowledgablebreeder may know more than a vet who doesn't even know that you shouldALWAYS feed rabbits and never withhold food).

Most breeders I know (via. email correspondence - I don't know any inmy local area) - try to educate themselves on rabbits. They not onlylearn about body type and all of that - but they learn how to take careof the rabbits and watch for signs of illness - and frequently goodbreeders are part of an email list or something where they discussillnesses and how to handle things.

I want to take a moment to talk about the advantages of a GOOD breeder.

I know every single one of my rabbits. I can tell you their likes andtheir dislikes. I can tell you about their parents...and I can pick outfor you a rabbit who will probably meet your personality if a persontakes the time to talk to me. I always give folks my phonenumber to call me if they have any problems or questions. I will eventake back a rabbit if you need to rehome it. Many breeders have that ina contract....that they will require you to give them back the rabbitif you decide you don't want it (I don't know how they can enforce it).I give people instructions in how to care for their rabbit - and a listof websites.

It is also important to note that there are some breeds out there thatfolks want....but they don't always show up in shelters when you wantthem. For instance, I love my lionheads - but I also love flemishgiants. In this area - it is very hard to find them....I had to travelover 100 miles to get Tiny.....from a breeder.

So let's say you want a lionhead or a flemish or some other breed thatis a bit rare....are you willing to wait until your shelter gets onein? What if they don't get one in for 2 years....?

Please understand - I'm not saying "don't adopt from shelters". I'm not saying "Breeders are better than shelters".

What I'm saying is - STOP LUMPING ALL BREEDERS TOGETHER.

There are good breeders out there and bad breeders out there. Yes -shut down the bad ones. Shut down the puppy mills and the bunny millsand all of that.

But good breeders deserve a bit more respect than they get from folks - or at least less condemnation.

Peg
aka Tinys Mom

P.S. As a breeder - I took in a lionhead doe from 200 milesaway - we drove halfway to get her. She was neutered and she is not forbreeding - but no one else wanted her....and she had teeth issues thatwould cause most folks to not want to adopt her. I know how to trimteeth (I would never knowingly sell a rabbit with bad teeth - and Ihave three that have bad teeth from a breeding which I NEVERrepeated)....so I adopted her and trim her teeth regularly and shelives a good life.

Also - while I do have favorites - I love ALL of my rabbits and I petthem and love on them. Some of them are more shy and don't wantanything to do with me no matter how much I socialize them....othersare just little lovers and want to be held. I always try to make sure arabbit is socialized before it is adopted and I usually hear back fromfolks on how well the rabbit adjusts to their new home, etc.

I agree, Peg.

I am all for rescue bunnies. After seeing how many are in shelters inmy area, I make it a point to always mention to people to check out theshelters (especially high kill shelters) as one of their options.Mainly because most people dont know these shelters exist and are sooverloaded with wonderful animals.

That being said, I know a great breeder just down the road from me whoI would also recommend to anyone looking for a bunny in my area. She isvery knowledgeable and cares very well for all her rabbits.

I think people often just get frustrated with breeders in generalbecause they only hear about the bad ones. Also, in some areas, itssuch a saturated market and it seems like breeders who dont know whattheyre doing are just adding to the problem.

People like you and Pam (and other breeders on this site) are such anasset to thisforum and the rabbits that you carefor. On a lot of issues, you often know more than my vetdoes. Ivalue your opinion so highly.With regards tobreeds, health, care, and behavior, responsible breeders like you guysare worth your weight in gold.

I think that everyone else would agree. Their frustration stems fromthe bunny mills, the backyard breeders, and the breeders who dontreally care for the animals in their care.

I think its easy for people to lump all breeders together. You raise agreat point and I hope people are able to step back and reevaluatetheir opinions on breeders. Not all are bad, just like not all rescuesare good!

I agree Peg too, I was only responding this for people who wants a pet and just dumps them after awhile.

I know many breeders including you for instance that are very good,knowledgable and very caring. My friend is a guinea pig and rabbitbreeder as well also she rescues pets from negletful homes and thatneed homes. She has taken my bun MeatHead and kept him, she has takenmy guinea pigs and kept them, rehomed a few pigs for me.

Like you said Peg how some people want a bun and has to drive miles toget them. Like DJ and I wanted a flemmie the nearest one that had themavailable we drove 4 hours to and from to get him. I also would lovepeople to adopt as well too to help out.

Also keep in mind that this article was writtenmore from the standpoint of cats and dogs, because rabbit welfare isnormally not a concern for most people.

Would I get a cat from a breeder? Doubtful. I lovemixes as much as the purebreeds. If we get a dog, James wantsa specific breed. But you can bet we'll be checking breedrescues first and any breeder will be researched so much they'll thinkthey're being audited.

My only thing with rabbit breeders is that the only responsible onesI've ever met have been through this forum. The shelters hereare usually flooded with rabbits and the ARBA and 4H breeders I'vetalked to think nothing of selling their culled stock to pet stores orgiving them away as pets to small children who quickly tire ofthem. The rabbits are livestock to them, even the ones thataren't bred for meat. Not to mention the backyard breedersthat just want cute babies. It's no surprise that so many ofthe shelter rabbits here are purebred.

I think a lot of education has to be done with both pet owners andbreeders. IMO it seems like there's only a small percentageof both groups that actually try to do right by their rabbits.

yeah.... I would love to do something with thelocal 4-H re. responsible pet ownership, but the perception of rabbitsas stock animals is so deeply ingrained in my neck of the woods that Idon't know if they'd be receptive to that. My girl is most likely a 4-Hcull (broken Dutch, not show quality); a lot of the kids get rid oftheir rabbits after their projects end.

And Nibbles (my girl) is one of the lucky ones - someone took her tothe humane society, and then she was transferred to a rabbit rescueshelter. When i adopted her, i saw at least 5-6 purebreds (includinggorgeous French and angora lops who've been adopted since then) - nodoubt they've got many more now...

Back