Let's try this again - we HAVE a new bunny!!!

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

danaii

Reaction score
Keith adopted her from the local Humane Society after a "bunny date" with our bunny, Chewie.

Zoey can be found here:http://wihumane.org/animals/animal.aspx?id=2022596

And NO ONE is taking her from us this time.

Zoey was a stray, so sort of a sad case. But she's abeautiful bunny, and just a bit smaller than Chewie. Duringthe "date" she would rub her head under his chin, so she seems a bitsubmissive. But otherwise they ignored each other and sniffedeach other. She seems a bit shy, per Keith.

And for those of you checking out that Humane Society's bunnyselection, see all those cute little nine-week dwarf babies?Those are her babies. So she's the momma.

So I feel good that we're adopting a bunny that's been through a lot,and happy that we're giving her a good home. She was justspayed a few days ago, so we're going to be careful with her.Chewie's neutered though, so things should be ok there.

Ok, that's it! :)

Ok, so this isn't the best time to ask, as w'vealready adopted her, but she's an American Sable "mix." She's3.5 pounds, and they think she's a young adult. Is she reallygoing to get to nine pounds? The Humane Society didn't seemto think so, but I'm wondering.

I guess you'd have to know what she's "mixed" with, and unfortunately Idon't know. Chewie's a purebred, and we're pretty sure he'snot going to get any bigger, but now I'm worried about having a ninepound bunny! :)

Not that she's leaving us, but I just want to know at what ageAmerican Sablestend to be their full size.

I just met Zoey. Oh my GOD, I'm inlove!! She's smaller than she looks in the picture, and is abit on the skinny side, but we'll give her lots of nice food, hay,veggies, fruits, etc.

She's inquisitive and very sweet.

danaii wrote:
she's an American Sable "mix." She's 3.5 pounds,and they think she's a young adult. Is she really going toget to nine pounds?

I highly doubt she will be anywhere near that big.

If she was a stray, how would they know what breed she is? I'm thinking they just took a wild guess.

I know, aren't they cute??

I guess they really would have no idea. Anyone who's anexpert want to take a guess at what kind of bunny she might be?

I've only ever had Holland Lops. :)

Shecould possibly havesomeHolland in her, even though she has uppy ears. In the pics,her coat looks kind of fluffy but also like it's beentrimmed. How is it now?

I only spent about a minute with her, but shelooks a lot like she does in the pictures. Actually, her furlooks longer than in the pictures, and feels a BIT like hair more thanfur. But I didn't have long enough to judge. Whoknows? Fuzzy lop, maybe? Angora?

I agree that I don't think she's going to get much bigger.She's so precious, and I love knowing that I adopted a stray, because Ireally want to give her a wonderful life.

I have two kids now!! :)

You know, if she's a stray, and her babies arebeing referred to as dwarf mixes, then either the father had to be adwarf, or she has to have some dwarf in her, right? Herbabies look a lot like her.

I was really surprised when Keith told me that Wynken, Blynken, Nod, etal were her babies, because we were looking at them as well.

Thanks!

Well, Keith just gave me an update. Apparently Chewie keepschasing her and trying to mount her, but they aren'tfighting. *sigh*

I wonder if maybe she should be confined to her cage while he's out, orvice versa. We don't have a lot of "neutral" area in thehouse, but we're going to try in the bathroom, which is mostly carpeted.

I hope he stops chasing her. Silly bunny. Chewie, I mean.

danaii wrote:
Iwonder if maybe she should be confined to her cage while he's out, orvice versa. I hope he stops chasing her.
Since she's just getting over her spay, I'd recommend very little timeout for her right now. Don't let him chase heraround.

We won't. Right now she's in her cage,flopped on her side and seeming content, and he's out and just beinghimself, but has no access to her.

Oh, sorry. And if he tries to mounther, we'll keep removing him and stopping it. We're verypatient people, despite him being a very persistent bunny. ;)

Sorry, didn't mean to be preachy!

I just know I wouldn't want to be chased around by a strange male in a strange place right after I'd had surgery. :)

No, not at all!

Like I said, I've had bunnies before, but they've always been HollandLops, always been male, and I've never had more than one at a timebefore.

So I've read a lot on the bonding, but just like having a new baby, noprep work in the world can totally prepare you foreverything. :)

Should she be *totally* confined to her cage, or can she be let out insmall intervals on occasion? I guess I just feel weirdkeeping her locked up, but I also want her to be able to recover.

I will happily take any advice I can get.

Oh boy, we have a hopper!!

When Keith first got her home, he let her explore her room for awhile. We have a step aerobic step, and she hopped right uponto it to explore! It took Chewie a month to hop upthere. We're talking maybe eight inches, that's it.

Hehe. From the couple of pictures he took before putting herin her cage, she is NOT shy. ;) I'll post them abit later.

But for now Zoey is back in her cage, and Chewie is out.

How does her incision look? Is it red and/or swollen?

I would just try to keep her confined to a somewhat small area,not necessarily in the cage all the time.

Thanks! And I'm not sure about her incision, as I've been at work all day. :)

I will check tonight.

The room she and Chewie own (quite literally) is about 10 feet by 10feet, or maybe 12 feet. Think that's too big an area?

Latest posts

Back