Lets talk BIG Bunnies

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Squish has a lovely dewlap! She looks like a New Zealand to me. The only way a dewlap would get smaller is if your rabbit was very fat and lost weight. In general, some breeds, like the NZ, grow big beautiful dewlaps. They are so they have more area on their chest to pull fur from when they have babies. That's why the longer they are intact the bigger they can get.

She did not really get her dewlap until she was spayed. We have no idea how old she is, she was found running around the neighborhood and covered in car grease.

Some day I would love a big bunny. Like a flemish or something. I saw some California rabbits a long time ago that were pretty neat. Always thought if I got a rabbit it would be a California. Instead I got Harvey, a smallish rabbit (tho big for his breed haha).

I LOVE big bunnies. Until I started doing research I had no idea they could get that big. Wonder what my dogs would think of a rabbit that size? :shock: Hehe. :biggrin:

hahah yeah I've always wanted a rabbit that would be bigger than some dogs.

Jessica are those shelties or collies in your picture?

MiniLopHop wrote:
Sophie, pictured above, is 10.5 pounds. I consider her big because she is larger than the other three of my bunnies combined weights :)

She is a New Zealand/Flemish Giant mix. Her original family gave her away to a farmer when she got to big *facepalm* what part of GIANT makes you think she would be small?

I adore her outgoing personality and the way she just buzzes around the house. She is like a bull in a china shop but we love her.

Robin, How do you take such a big bun to visit people? Becky and Gary are therapy buns, but they are only 7 pounds together. Carying them around in a basket gets heavy after a while. I couldnt imagine getting a basket big enough for Sophie with a little Houdini on the side.
Paddy o'Hara rides in a clothes basket in the car and is really good. I could not find a basket that would work for her either. It seems the baskets get really heavy or hard to handle when the rabbit exceeds 5 pounds or so. She peaks out of the clothers basket when we stop but otherwise stays in the basket. Once we get to our location, I put her harness and lead on and she rides in a garden wagon that I found at Home Depot. She will walk around once we get inside only if she is in the mood. She wanted to ride in the wagon on the last visit. I will have to take some photos and post. I am still amazed by her everytime we visit some place.

I loved my big Bunnie Brownie!! He was a Giant Lop :) I will get another one since I LOVE big bunnies but I love Trigs and Oreo to :)

rabbitscat002-1.jpg

animals290.jpg

Ooooh I grew up with two shelties. Love those dogs. :)

Yes I think my next rabbit will be a big bunny. Right now I have a small bunny with big attitude. Does that count?

I have a flemish giant named Frank. He was scared to death and antisocial for over a year but now he is coming out of his shell since he has 2 buddies who aren't scared of me. He is small for a flemish giant at 12 lbs but I still love him.
6998978417_1e6fd38aac_c.jpg

6875239368_407023b140_z.jpg

Pooka was my baby she was a flemish giant and about 14 lbs. She knew no stranger and loved cuddles I still miss her every day.
4531991817_d9b9fc62e6_o.jpg

Latest posts

Back