Lets create our own Cheat Sheet

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

AnnaS

Reaction score
Here are some points that I can think of:

-- Rabbits should be fed pellets, timothy hay and limited amount of treats.

-- Good rabbit treats given in moderate amount are craisins, rolled oats, apples, bananes

-- Papaya, fresh pineapple and canned pumpkin can help with hair blockage.

-- Rabbits need at least 2 hours of running time outside the cage.

-- Rabbit's nails should be trimmed every month

It should be rephrased of course.

Please add any information you think would be useful to new users.

Vegetables and Fruits that are good for bunnies-[/b]

[/b]Vegetables[/b]

Lush, leafy greens contain more vitamins and minerals thanthings like iceberg lettuce. You should not feed iceberg lettucebecause it is nutritionally void -- it's nothing but a little celluloseand water. While it isn't dangerous, people have been known to feed itto the exclusion of other more nutritious things, resulting in dietarydeficiencies.

Items marked with * are high in Vitamin A. Try to feed one of theseeach day. Items marked with (!) should be used sparingly and in smalleramounts than others.

·Vegetable seed sprouts
· Basil
· Beet greens (tops)*
· Bok choy
· Broccoli (mostly leaves/stems)*
· Brussels sprouts
· Carrot & carrot tops*
· Celery
· Cilantro
· Clover
· Collard greens*
· Dandelion greens and flowers (no pesticides)*
· Endive*
· Escarole
· Green peppers
· Kale (!)*
· Mint Mustard greens*
· Parsley*
· Pea pods (the flat edible kind)*
· Peppermint leaves
· Raddichio
· Radish tops
· Raspberry leaves
·Romaine lettuce (no iceberg or light colored leaf)*
· Spinach (!)*
· Watercress*
· Wheat grass

Fruits[/b]
Be sure to give these very sparingly as they are high in sugar. Choose those that are highest in fiber.

· Apple
·Banana (banana chips, too)
· Blueberries
· Melon
· Orange (including peel)
· Papaya
· Peach
· Pear
· Pineapple
· Plums
· Raspberries
·Strawberries

My sincereapologies for not being able to give credit to the author of thisinformation- I kept it because I found it of much value. It has to dowith a study on digestion times of fiber in the intestinal tract, whichis very important when trying to determine the right combinations ofpellets, greens and hay for your bunny.

Raspberry

Digestive Information-

Particle Sizes and Transit Times
Indigestible fiber is indigestible whether it's pulled off the bark ofa tree or blended into a feed, yet the size and type of the fiber canaffect the length of time it takes to pass through the GI(gastro-intestinal) tract.
Contrary to what you might expect, the large particles don't get stuckinside the rabbit while the small ones exit easily. It's the other wayaround.
Transit times of particles moving through the GI tract have beenmeasured, in several scientific studies, by placing markers in thefeed. High-fiber alfalfa meal, pelleted into large particles (up to3mm) moved through the digestive system in 14.1 hours in one study.When same high-fiber feed was ground to a finer size (1mm), it took15.9 hours to pass through the digestive tract.
Markers in a pelleted low-fiber high-starch feed passed in 20.1 hours(Gidenne 1992). Why are smaller fibers and high-starch feeds slower ingetting through? Because small particles and excess starch are sent tothe cecum for fermentation, and this takes extra time. Fluids and smallparticles are separated in the colon and moved backwards into the cecum(Cheeke 1987), while large particles are passed quickly through thecolon.
One study used particles up to 5mm in marked feed, which passed in 5hours (Sakaguchi 1992). This may closely approximate the size of chewedhay. I can say with strong certainty--from caring for disabled,diapered rabbits on a monitored diet with strictly scheduled feedingtimes--that the oat hay I give my rabbits in the morning is passed bythe afternoon (4-5 hours).
Fast and Slow
So which is more desirable, fast moving or slow moving particles? Someof both are needed: a sizable quantity of coarse indigestible organicmaterial to keep the gut working at an optimum rate and enough (but nottoo much) digestible material to be absorbed in the small intestine andcecum.

Cure for Mites - Per Pam Nock

Kitten flea powder can be used. I had also used Sevin gardendust for many years (the product is labeled safe for use on cats).Ivomec is very effective also. Paste horse wormer containing Ivermectincan be given orally -- use a small smear. For the liquid Ivomec, thedosage is 1/10 of a cc (.10) -- per every "5"[/b] pounds of body weight.

Pam

AGood GI Stasis Emergency Kit to have on hand-

Canned Pumpkin:
It has to be canned and not fresh.

Fresh Pineapple Juice:
Don'tuse canned pineapple juice. It doesn't work the same and itwon'tbreak down the hairball. The fresh juicehasthe acids that break the hair apart.Buy freshpineapple at the grocery storeand squeeze the juiceout.

Simethicone: Which is infant gas drops and can befound at a pharmacy or large grocery store. It only costs acoupledollars. It helps the gasbreakdown.

Papaya Tablets: Has to be intablet form. Papain is theingredient you are looking for.These can be found at somepharmacies, grocery stores and health food stores. They cost $3.00-5.00

Tetracycline: An antibiotic for the bacteriathatbuilds up because of the blockage. It can be purchased atmost vet supply and feedstores.

Pedialyte: This is a liquid supplement for infants and toddlersand can be found at most grocery stores orpharmacies.Ithelps prevent hydration.

NutriCal: A dietary supplement for the rabbit while it isn'teating.It can be found at most vet and feed supply stores.It's cost is $7-10.00

Syringes or children's medication droppers: 3 ccsyringe you can get them at apharmacy. In every case I'veever heard of, a rabbit has had to be force fed with a dropper orsyringe.

When stasis actually sets in,the bestcourse of treatment always varies from rabbit torabbit.Having these things on hand will help give youagood start and not let you be caught offguard.

Raspberry

***I posted this in a couple of places sorry about the redundancy***

Hello All !!

At the Bunnie Party we had a chance to see what Buck kept on hand for the bunnies.

Danielle wrote down everything and I thought it would be nice to share it with everybody.

He kept everything in a big yellow toolbox:

Records for each rabbit

Nail clippers

Cotton balls (I prefer gauze pads...no fibers to shed)

Styptic powder

Small cup

Comb, regular

Comb, fine tooth

Brush

Scissors

“Bag Balm”

Pencil

Baby bottle

Nail files

Bene-bac

Nutri-cal