Let the countdown begin!

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Thumpers_Mom

Reaction score
Hi all,

Time is flying by and soon, I will be traveling with myboys, bunnies and hamster. I am driving from NYC to Florida in 3 weeks! :shock:We will finally bemeeting our newest furry addition to our family, Ash, our pomeranian/poodle. :biggrin2:My mom is also getting married that week and to top it off, my little brother will be doing his communion...so busy busy busy.

I am trying to figure out the best way to transport them. :ponder:The carrier I have is too small for both of them and would have to get another one. I don't think they should be apart for such a long drive. Or is that ok?I guess the other option (which is the one I am leaning towards) is getting a big rubbermaid storage container where I could fit their litterbox and hay and stuff. Would this be a better option? I am not worried about their reaction much since they do prettygood in the car.

Has anyone experienced traveling long distances with the bunners? The longest they've been in the car with me was about 3 hrs and they did very well but we are talking about 18 hrs here if I go straight through. I might stop at a motel for a few hrs and of course they will be coming in with us and will be able to stretch their legs.

TIA I really appreciate any and all feedback!:thanks:

*Jackie

I'd be worried about a big storage bin because of ventilation on such a long drive. I would think a large dog carrier or wire carrier would work great.

Just be sure to keep your bunno's hydrated. They should do fine on the long drive, mine did well on our long trip in the car (about the same amount of hours as you).

Good luck :)!

Oh, goodness! Time is indeed flying by! I'll bet you're one busy lady. How much space in the car will you have for the bunnos? I'm assuming that if you use a rubbermaid container, you won't put the lid on it so ventilation won't be a problem. Oddly enough, I've only ever flown with bunnies, not really gone on long drives (Cinny went on a 4 hour trip when we moved, but that's not much in comparison to what Peaches and Thumper are facing) so I don't have a lot of advice. I'll be wishing you the best on your trip, though! And hopefully some more people will come along with advice for ya :biggrin2:

I have travelled 22 hours one way with lionheads - about 60 of them - to convention - been there for three days and turned around and drove 22+ hours back.

I would put the hamster in the small carrier maybe and buy a large carrier - I don't feel good about the Rubbermaid container - and I did do that with Zeus and felt nervous as we drove through Houston on the way home. The carriers are sturdier and if there is an accident - the rabbit(s) will have better protection.

Make sure to take lots of their own water from home....and don't be surprised if they don't eat much.....

Peg

Thx for the replies everyone!

Amy, I'd leave the top off (you're right Shiloh :biggrin2:) for ventilation or make a few wholes.

Peg, thx for reminding me about bringing lots of water...I'll bring a couple of gallons. I didn't think further than just bringing their water bottle full.

Shiloh, it is CRAZY! I pop in here as much as I can but school, work and everything else is just taking over!

I wanted to get the clear binlike this one
319JJFPJDBL._AA262_.jpg
which will take up 2 of the back seats in the car. I thought they might enjoy seeing around them.

Or I could get something like this:

As for Max, our hamster, I was thinking about taking her whole cage so that she can have her wheel but maybe I should nix that idea and get her a carrier??

Let me know what you guys think.

Thx!

Jackie, that looks like a good size carrier. I'm sure they will probably sleep cuddled up to each other most of the way. Make sure you put old towels or blankets down for them, and bring extras just in case they pee pee on them.

When I had the rescues for 3 days the Flemish mother and her14 Babies were in a carrier about that size and they did ok.

Susan:)

Latest posts

Back