Let my new bunnies meet through a cage?

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ruckusluvr

Reaction score
Should I let my new bunny and my existing bunny meet through cages where they can watch each other. Or should I not? with Charmin's traumatic first day if might be too stressful. And plus he isnt even neutered yet.

I just really want these two to bond, and I want to be sure that there isnt anything I should be doing right now.

I have tried bonding Ryo twice. One with professional help for the HRS. First time i tried for 8 months before giving up. and the second time 6 months. The first time the rabbit was young and hyper so maybe not a good match (yes he was neutered)
The second time was with another female who has had many many litters (aslo spayed) Both of them rabbits were also rescues.

I am hoping that Ryo and Charmin will bond because Charmin seems really laid back. If they dont bond I will still end up keeping Charmin though! Ryo has a big bed room to herself, and if they do not bond I would like to some how split it up where they cannot get to each other. Unless it stressed out Ryo too much.

Since Ryo is known to already have issues with becoming a bonded bunny I would let them see each other... but not able to get anywhere near each other. Like if they are both in seperate cages in one room... then you can let them run the room seperately, but make sure there's no ramps for them to get right up next to the other bunny's cage.

Also, since Charmin isn't even neutered I just wouldn't begin letting them close to each other. It's amazing just how long they can hold a grudge... and if they are up next to each other trying to bite each other thru the cage or growling and lunging, they will remember this. Let Charmin get settled in, have him neutered (I believe you said it would be 3 weeks until then), and then I'd still wait another month before you begin actively trying to bond the two. I say wait a month, so that it will give time for Charmin's testosterone to drop.

It may seem like forever to wait, but honestly, it's much better to start off on a positive note (both bonded and never having fought before)... as the reverse can set bonding back quite awhile.

In the meantime... enjoy your new bunny, and read all you can about bonding!!! The easiest combo would be boy-girl, so it's already probably going to be a bit more difficult since you've got two boys.

BEST OF LUCK WHEN THE TIME COMES!!!!

Latest posts

Back