Leonidas went to rattie heaven.

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

undergunfire

Retired Moderator
Reaction score
Leonidas passed about 2 hours ago. I found his little head dangling off the edge of the hammock, lifeless. His three "brothers" were laying around him...keeping his body warm.

Leo had been showing old age the past few months and he finally decided to go play with Fayl in rattie heaven. I kissed him goodnight on the head last night and whispered to him that it was okay if he left. I knew he was going to pass and I prayed that he passed on his own.

Goodbye my Leo-Skeo. Mommy loves you so much and I hope you are healthy once again up in rattie heaven. Say "hello" to Fayl and tell her I miss her.

I'll see you some day and you can join my heaven and be with mommy once again.

l_03cff5458712e2203f9ab7022497fc60.jpg

I am so sorry Leo. RIP Little Guy.

Aww i'm sorry Amy

Rest in peace little one

Cheryl

Amy, I am so sorry for the loss of Leo :sad:

RIP little Leo.

RIP Leonidas! It sounds like he passed very gently, which I'm grateful for. I'm so sorry to hear he's died though. I definitely understand how you feel :( He was a very cute and special boy, and I'm glad he found such a good home with you. Ratties need to live longer!

I miss my Leo so much. I feel like we should have buried him in Ryan's mom's backyard, next to Fayl. To help myself feel better about it, I am going to plant flowers on his grave this Saturday.

I can't believe he is gone. When I go into the rat/rabbit room I don't see his little face anymore. Leo was the first to greet me as I walked in there, he would jump right up and think I had food for him.

His little body just gave up. I don't understand why rats can't live long.

I am in a rough spot. When you lose a rat, you contemplate adding another to your group to fill the gap...add one more squishy to the hammock pile. I want to take a break from rats after my other boys pass away, but I don't want my last living rat to live alone until his time is up. Rats thrive on other rats to keep on living. What do you do? Do you not get anymore and end the cycle....or do you get more and keep the cycle alive for your last living rat?

When we pull into the driveway now, I always wish I would see Leonidas run across the backyard to greet me.

undergunfire wrote:
I miss my Leo so much. I feel like we should have buried him in Ryan's mom's backyard, next to Fayl. To help myself feel better about it, I am going to plant flowers on his grave this Saturday.
Amy that is just his body. His spirit is with hers where it counts. Flowers are nice thing to do if it brings you comfort.
I am in a rough spot. When you lose a rat, you contemplate adding another to your group to fill the gap...add one more squishy to the hammock pile. I want to take a break from rats after my other boys pass away, but I don't want my last living rat to live alone until his time is up. Rats thrive on other rats to keep on living. What do you do? Do you not get anymore and end the cycle....or do you get more and keep the cycle alive for your last living rat?
I think this is something anyone who has animals that live together goes through. My mom time and again has said no more dogs and than one passed an she got another. This time she has three so if one went there are still two. She said this time once two are gone she wants me to take the remaining one. Why? Because it is so hard to lose them.Do I think my momcan live with out a dog possibly for awhile, for the restof her life no. She lovesdogs to much.

Time doesn't matter, the loss isstill the same.You love rats, that won'tchange.You spoil them and they livein heaven when you are their mommy. You treat them like little kings.

Keep in mind that there is no better way to honor them than when you can handle it in your heart again open and let another in your heart.

I'm so sorry Amy. :(I know how you feelabout adding or not. I am debating that myself. I do think that it all comes down to their quality of life. I do agree that they are social animals. Maybe you can consider rehoming him with a rat-lover you know if you don't want to pursue rats in the future. I guess time will tell and you will be able to decide in the future after observing him more. Again, I am sorry. I do wish rats lived longer :?

Thank you, every one. It's not getting any easier yet, but I am doing things to help feel better. I went and had pictures of my Leo printed and have them in every room of the house, so I can still "see" him.

My three other boys look sad and confused, still. They are begging for attention even more now and I am trying to give them all that I can....they beg worse then dogs...lol.

I contemplated going to the local mom & pop pet store to look at the ratties to remind myself that I don't need to add another, but I decided that that would be too risky.

With much talking with Ryan, I have decided that I won't be getting more rats right now. Once I am down to one rat, I will do what I can for him to stay happy as a lone rat. I would never rehome my last rat because I owe it to them to take care of them in their old age. Sometimes the humane society gets rats in and I can foster for them if I need a "rat fill".

I still have a "hole in my heart" from where Leonidas lived, but I am trying to change my way of thinking and cover up that hole.

Lone rats can do well by themselves as well Am-ster :) It's okay. I've seen rats do just fine and have good lives. Plus, whichever may be your last one, will have lived a long wonderful life filled with the company of others. Maybe a little loner time is a good thing. I'd like to have that giant home all to myself, I know THAT much!! :)

Tracy

Latest posts

Back