Leg Wound, what to do?

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

MsJuliet

Reaction score
Chewy was about a month ago diagnosed with cancer. A very unique and unspecific type, she has a few sores on her body. They are small and don't bother her, and she's been a great little girl :)

However....there was a pretty big bump on her ankle of one of her feet. The vet could not look at it because she said it felt like it was covered with a huge scab; the fur was all matted over the bump, but not bloody. Recently I noticed it seemed to have came off. Whatever the large "bump" thing was, it fell off, completely exposing skin underneath. There's no fur and it appears that its much deeper than just a few layers of skin, the skin is very tender and pink, but does not look infected.

I emailed her vet and she hasn't responded back to me. I don't know what to do, if there's anything I can put on it, perhaps a bandage? It just looks so exposed. She loves to go outside but I'm way too worried to bring her outside with such a large open wound.

Any advice?

Contact another vet who is willing to take the time and effort to diagnose this to be a definative.;) Matter at hand shouldn't be an issue.

I'm sorry to hear of the first diagnosis:(.

Is it possible for you to post a photo of what you are describing?

AngelnSnuffy wrote:
Contact another vet who is willing to take the time and effort to diagnose this to be a definative.;) Matter at hand shouldn't be an issue.

I'm sorry to hear of the first diagnosis:(.
I agree she needs to see a vet

Iwould guess that the pink area is another tumor; I had a cat who had something very similar happen to her... fur on her abdomen actually raised up into a bump and later cracked off exposing a pink tumor underneath.

I remember there was a bit of concern as to how the vet arrived at the diagnosis of cancer, correct? I don't necessarily doubt it, but it's the kind of thing you want to be 100% sure about. Did the vet take a sample from one of the scabby lumps and look at it under a microscope (called doing a cytology)? This would help make sure it is indeed cancer and not some other issue.

I think angieluv's description of how her cat with cancer had a similar sore sounds feasible and if we're sure it's cancer that sounds a lot like what your girl had.

As for a bandage or something, bunnies really don't tolerate them at all--unless she's the kind that won't tear it off--I think about 90% of bunnies won't tolerate a bandage they can possibly remove. You can put some cream on the skin to make it less sore, like neosporin, bag balm, prep H, something. Other than that I'm not sure what you can do. You could use New Skin--a liquid bandage you paint on like nail polish--but it can really sting when it goes onto the wound and sometimes can be peeled off too, which could make it worse.

This is a different vet than the one who Chewy first saw who had problems diagnosing her and treating her. The lab report from the first vet came back unsure, but the second one done using a blood sample from her leg wound confirmed it was cancerous, and is very aggressive.

I wrapped more bandage around her leg tonight, tighter. I hope she doesn't rip it off again.

What it sounds like is very similar to the cat situation- her fur and hardened and crusted over this (and risen), and then cracked open.

Latest posts

Back