Leg problems

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

19psi

Reaction score
Hi everybody.

First post here.

I have a mixed breed rabbit named Bud. I adopted him through the Indiana HRS back in 2005. Estimated age is between 8 to 10. He's about 8 lbs. He's house broken and allowed free when I'm around. At night and when I'm not at home he lives in a carpeted penned in area that's about 50 sq ft.
Very laid back and inactive rabbit. Never been one to run around.

Diet consists of Katyee's Fortidiet, Timothy hay, Kale, Cilantro, Parsley, Escarole and treats such as yogurt drops.

Last month on a Saturday I noticed he wasn't eating all his pellets which was the favorite part of his diet. I have an automatic feeder that distributes a 1/4 cup for breakfast, lunch and dinner. He would eat his meal quickly and always beg for more.
That Saturday there were pellets left over.
Sunday I noticed him starting to drag his left hind leg. He did not appear to be in any pain. No teeth grinding, still cleaning himself and playing with toys.

Called the vet on Monday and made an appointment for Thursday. In that time I upped his vegetable intake due to him not wanting pellets and drinking very little water.

Luckily I have an excellent exotic veterinary clinic close by. His regular veterinarian moved to another state, however the guy taking care of Bud now seems to know rabbits very well and so far I feel comfortable with him.

Teeth were fine, digestive system is moving and he was well hydrated.
He has feeling in his feet. X-rays showed damage to his lower spine. The way the vet explained it, there are small "bridges" that cracked.
Not sure what happened as he's always been very mellow and lays around all day. Jumping off the couch to a carpeted floor is the most drastic move he makes.

He went on Tramadol and Metacam for the first week and I honestly didn't see any difference.
Following week I renewed the meds and the vet added a drug called GABAPENTIN. I give him that once a day and it seems to be helping.

Several days later I took him in for a follow up exam and his weight was still good. For the heck of it I insisted they do blood work and that turned out excellent, however he didn't check for e-cuniculi.

I've pretty much stopped the Tramadol and Metacam and nothing has changed. I'm still giving him the Gabapentin. I'll be asking the vet this week if I can just keep him on that from now on.

His current condition is that he's very wobbly on both hind legs after sleeping. He gets up and does very high arched stretches (a bit disturbing) and then things seem to stabilize for him and he moves around reasonably well. Still sitting up and cleaning, using litter box, playing with toys etc. Lazier than normal though.

My main question is about Gabapentin. I've done some searching on this drug and can only find information on it being used in laboratory testing rabbits. Nothing about it being used to treat pet rabbits. I see it is ok for dogs and cats.

Has anyone used this drug or know anything about long term side effects?

Also would anyone still suggest an e-cuniculi test?

Thanks for reading and sorry about being so long winded.:)

George

if there's no signs of E. cunculi, besides trouble walking, I don't think its necesary. Its just extra stress on the already ill bunny to get more blood taken. - plus it can get quite expensive. But, go with your gut feelig- if you feel it could be e. c. get the test so you don't beat yourself up later. Also, since the xrays showed some damage to the spine, then that's probably what I'd think it is.

As for Gabapentin, I'm not sure about that med inperticular. However, I do know that there are alot of meds not specifically approved for rabbits, that vets give them anyway and they seem to work.

Thanks for the reply.

I'm probably going to skip the e. cuniculi test. It's just been one of a few things I've been pondering, especially due to the change in appetite and stretching.
I viewed the X-rays myself and the damage is noticeable.

The Gabapentin seems to be helping with his mobility but I'm concerned with long term side effects.
The vet feels that the ideal situation will be if that area heals up after 6 to 8 weeks allowing him to get along easily without any medication.

Latest posts

Back