Leashing Rabbits.

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Smelly

Reaction score
I never got to do this but how is it for the rabbit?

I was thinking that I might want to some day take a rabbit on a leashto the parks around me. The signs say no Cats orDogs. Then when they try to stop me I say "hey this is aRABBIT" and let the rabbit poop everywhere.

:cooking:

But seriously are there any guildlines I should follow? I'mthinking of getting another rabbit since Smelly passed. I'mlonely and keep waking up ready to go feed my rabbit then I rememberhe's dead.

I'm so sorry about Smelly. I know that must be hard

To answer your question, I have an evil rabbit namedTank. He has serious behavioral problems so I'mguessing maybe he was abused before he got to me. But inoticed he really does seem happy when I take him on hiswalks. There are speacial leashes for rabbits that I use forhim and i take him on a walk, and I live in NYC and he isnt scared bythe noise or anything. In fact, just recently i saw him do abinky while I was walking him! So in my opinion i think its agood idea. However, it also depends on the rabbit.

It does depend on the rabbit. One of mine isfine on a leash but I have to really run to catch up but that scareshim and makes him freak out andthe other 2 are nightmares.They freak out and run in a panic the second you put it on. Needless tosay, I no longer take them on walks with a leash. Also, some rabbitscan get out of harnesses (I've watched one get out of a perfectly fitrabbit 'jacket' type harness with clip buckles on it).

Also, you run the risk of your rabbit contracting parasites or eatingsomething dangerous if you take them out. Things like fertilizer andother things used on grassare potentiallydangerousto the bunny.

Keep in mind that even if it says no cats or dogs, that doesn't meanevery body listens or that there are no stray animals running around.Your rabbit is not as safe on a leash as you'd think.

My mini lop Theodore used to LOVE going forwalks on his leash and harness, but I never took him to any publicparks... I just let him stay on our property and sometimes we'd go downthe street a little. He was an honory escape artist, but never got outof the H-style harness we had for him, and he loved his walks. We putthe harness on him every day for a few hours for about a week before wetook him outside on it. By then, he completely forgot he was wearingit. There's another thread similar to this one below.

When I first got Berri I tried her on a leashand she hated it- she ran around crazy and of course I had to runaround crazy after her so I gave up. Then when Pebble and Ebony wereold enough I tried it with them and they reacted exactly the same. Ithink they might have thought I was chasing them orsomething:ponder:... So the whole leash thing has never really workedfor me but I suppose it depends on the rabbit.

Back