Learning As We Go - Winston, Poplar and me

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Mubunny

Reaction score
I can't even tell you how excited I was when I got the message that Winston was ready to go home early. Turns out the little guy was already fixed. Pool little Winston has been to the shelter twice, once when he was originally surrendered and again after seven months of living with an adopted family. There was no mention as to why he was given up either time.
As I let him out of his box and into his new home he timidly pokes out and lops into a corner. He stays there motionless even when I brought him his pellets and veggies. When I bring him new toys he still stays stiff as a statue, but I hear him rustle with them as I leave. Playing hard to get I see.
After leaving him for an hour or two to get comfortable I decide to pay him a little visit. I open up his pen and hunker down outside it with a book and a blanket. I am so nervous I'm shaking a little I'm not expecting much from this first little meet but I'm scared the little bun will hat me.
He stays stoic for five minutes or so but I knew I saw him eying that lettuce. He finishes his veggies and pokes at his pellets, all the while staring at me. He would freeze up again if I looked at him so I tried to be as none threatening as possible. Around the fifteen minute mark he seems to have gathered a lot of courage because he sneaks out to smell my foot.
After that he lets his hair down a little. Nudging his boxes nibbling at toys and using the litter box (he's fully trained, yay!). Wanting to end things on a good note I close up the cage and bring him some more Romain lettuce as a bedtime treat. He actually ate a little from my hand.
He's such a little player though. I'll head him hopping around and knocking over his food dishes and playing but the second I poke my head in he's staring right at me still as can be.
Oh my shy little guy, I'll win you over yet.
Can't wait for Poplar to get here.

Yay! It's so nice to hear that another bun has been adopted. My Lily is also adopted (2 weeks now) and she and I are having a ball getting used to each other. Just keep it slow and steady and make him comfy (let him explore you without always trying to pet or touch him) and he'll warm up to you just fine.

Any chance you can take some photos? :)

I don't have a camera at the moment but I'll be buying one soon.
In the thread I posted about bonding him and Poplar http://www.rabbitsonline.net/view_topic.php?id=54061&forum_id=48 a gentleman who works at the shelter I'm getting them both from posted a picture of them.
I haven't pet him yet since he still won't come too close to me, but I hope he'll be more comfortable in the next week or so. It's all up to him though.

what a great start to life with a bunny! keep on as you are with winston. sounds like this little bunny has had a rough time and is a bit wary.

post pics when you can:D

You've got a great attitude towards getting to know the little furry man! I wish all new bun owners had your patience and understanding :bunnydance:

Good morning Winston. I can tell I'm going to be a crazy bunny lady since I can't even wait a full day between updates. I think our very first morning together deserves and update though. Woke up around 9:30 and made him up a veggie plate. I don't know what veggies he ate at the shelter so I only have him on Romain lettuce and carrot slices. Might try a little celery this afternoon if he doesn't have any bad poops today.
So I sat down with the plate and open up his cage. He eyed up those treats hard. I had such trouble getting him to eat treats yesterday that I had to hold it right by his nose before he even nibbled, so imagine my surprise when after only two pieces he hops right up. I've learned carrot slices are a good way of bribing him. He's starting to get a little braver, he bumped up against my knee while sniffing at the world beyond his cage and finally he hopped out into the room. He did a little exploring and sniffing but it was very short lived. With a mighty few leaps he is suddenly again in his cage and hiding in his box. I give him his last two carrot slices for being so brave. He just melts my heart. I'm really proud of him so far.

Oh and here is Winston
Winston.jpg

And Poplar. I don't have Poplar yet but I'm exited that he will be coming soon.
Poplar.jpg

A rabbit's GI track takes about 12 hours to move food so you won't see a reaction to new foods for at least a day. Most people recommend offering new food for 3-4 days and watching for stomach upset before moving on to adding a new food.

It sounds like you are doing everything you can to win him over. I'm sure that he will be a lovey dovey bun in no time.

I'll just stick to what he has then. With how much he poops I thought it would be quicker then that haha.

Mubunny wrote:
I don't know what veggies he ate at the shelter so I only have him on Romain lettuce and carrot slices.
Romain lettuce, spinach, carrots, carrot tops, parsley, broccoli, apples, pears, papaya, banana, oranges, strawberries, blueberries, pineapple, and whatever else I could bring them, they would eat. On occasion, I give them Craisens, Zupreem Parrot food, Sunflower Seeds, and Oats.

The Shelter bunnies are a hardy lot, they have been exposed to all different foods as the shelter takes what food they can get.

What type of pellets and hay do you have?

Oh that's good. It's good to know what they've had. I have Martin pellets for a less active adult because the percentages were the closest I could find to the recommended and Winston is not very active at all.
These are my first bunnies ever so I'm not sure what to expect other then what I've read so I've been cautious.

Oh yes he seems to like it. Right now he has an alfalfa/timothy hay blend but I'd like to get him some plain timothy when Poplar gets here because it seems like it has way more alfalfa then timothy. I add some into his pellet bowl and he has lots on top of his litter.

I'm going to give them a long long time to get to know each other. I hope it all works out too!

Afternoon update:
I came home late after dinner at my mom's. I got to work cleaning up Winston's litter and changing his water. I expected him to be afraid of the process but he was really interested. He sat really close and looked in as I poured in new wood flakes and sampled the hay I put on top. We even played a game of keep away. I'd offer him his cardboard tube or corn toy and he would toss it in the air, he seemed to like this but his interests soon turned back to the hay. It was a nice lighthearted interaction and he didn't run and hide or stare at me in the cautious way he does.
Warms my heart to come home to a nervous little tub of love.

All I am able to say is, "Awe..."It is so sweet of you to open your home to two needy bunny-souls. They look precious.

I see Stan in helping you. You couldn't have asked for a better person to help you out with your new adoptions. Did he tell you about this forum? Sorry to say, but we all love pics here, so when you get your camera you will have a reason to go crazy with it.

Can't wait to hear about when Poplar gets join Winson. Keep us updated...

myheart

No I just saw him on here through the Edmonton Humane Society thread since that's where I got my little guys. He is super helpful, as with everyone on this site. I wish I could volunteer at the EHS but it's so far away from me. I think after Winston and Poplar are all settled down I'll try and talk my boyfriend into letting me foster a bunny. I will either be going today or tomorrow to get a camera.

Winston has been exploring the area outside his cage a lot more when I open it up now. He even nibbles on my knees and bum to get me to move out of the way so he can go have a little adventure. I still need to finish cleaning up the spare room he is in (formerly a storage room), so I can't let him go too far.
He still won't let me pet him but we play games and he eats veggies and hay from my hands without hesitating. He has almost finished re-modeling his house. He actually chewed the window into a door AND squared it out at the bottom! Clever little guy.

I fostered a lop-eared rabbit for a few months last year. He was my fastest adoption. I think it was because of his personality. I don't know it that is a loppy trait or just something special that some loppies have. It sounds like Winston might be the same sort of character that my Charlie was. Simply put -- a personality in a loppy-bunny suit. Sounds like Winston will take control in no time. ;)

myheart

Latest posts

Back