Leaky eyes

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

lopbunns

Reaction score
My rabbit has been having off and on trouble with watery discharge from his right eye. The vet told me I could give his nose bridge massage to help loosen up the discharge and to also put a warm compress on it, but I can never get it to fully get better. If anyone has any recommendations it would be very appreciated! With the watery eye there is no sign of pus or anything like that in his eye. Just perpetual wateriness.

Did the vet check the eye to make sure it didn't have debris stuck under the eyelid, the eye wasn't being rubbed by an eyelid or eyelash, there wasn't a corneal ulcer, the eye wasn't cloudy at all, or that the tear duct was draining and not blocked? These would be the most common causes of only one eye being teary.

Then there are things like glaucoma, or overgrown tooth roots pressing on the tear duct preventing proper drainage. Determining a dental connection would require xrays, after the more common causes are ruled out. Correcting a dental cause is complicated and not always possible. Then it becomes a matter of managing the wet eye as best you can.

Is your vet an experienced rabbit vet?

Medirabbit: runny eyes

https://rabbit.org/health/chronic-runny-eyes-in-rabbits/

Back