Leafy eatables and stick snacks

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Tigs

Reaction score
I know leafy greens are fantastic for buns, save iceberg, but what about leafy purples and cabbage? I also have some questions about other veggies such as eggplant, zucchini, asparagus, cauliflower, chives, peas (in the pod), potatos (cooked or raw), root vegetables like turnip or parsnips, squashes like butternut, pumpkin or acorn, ... I just realized there is a much longer list of veg so it would be perhaps shorter to ask which veg should rabbits never eat, or very rarely eat.

As for sticks/twigs/branches, I have access to a large variety of organic fruit trees that will need pruning shortly. I know that peach leaves are poisonous to some small animals due to the natural chemicals they store. Would that be the same for their bark? Apple, pear, peach, plum, cherry will be the main ones I can collect branches from are they bunny okay? I know, for hermit crabs for instance, it is always best to bake branches before hand to kill off any harmful parasites that may be living on/in them. Does that go for rabbits as well? Are there any deciduous or evergreen type branch/bark that is not good for rabbits to chomp on?

He he, you said eatable. Makes me think of Willy Wonka and the Chocolate Factory.

It's fine to use fruit tree branches as wood chew toys. I know that apple is commonly used and safe but I'm not sure about the others. Willow is also popular.

As for veggies - I would stick to the stuff on this list.
[url[http://www.rabbit.org/care/veggies.html[/url]

I feed Lily a mix of romaine, green leaf lettuce, carrot, grape tomato, Italian flat leaf parsley, curly leaf parsley, mint, and basil. Aside from the staple romain/leaf lettuce salad I rotate the others so that she gets a nice mix and doesn't get bored.

Certain fruit tree braches are safe like apple, willow, etc
But "pit" fruit trees such as cherry, peach should be dried for about a month before they can be fed to bunns!

Danielle

I know some people dry out pine twigs and pine cones that way...but personally I have never tried...I have more than enough access to apple sticks so Ifigured why bother with the worry...I just feed apple and willow! :D

Danielle

Latest posts

Back