layla's chewing is out of CONTROL

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

amberelizabeth

Reaction score
I need some serious help/ideas to help me beat Layla's habit of chewing.

In her cage I provide more than enough stimulation, she has multiple toys and multiple things to chew on (i.e., wood blocks, cardboard, hay, etc).

when i let her out she has full run of our upstairs hallway/stairs and my room. she likes to lay under my bed, but she chews my wood paneling like CRAZY! i don't know what to do w/ her! I've tried clapping and saying "no" firmly, the clap doesn't even phase her it doesn't do anything. i tried a "time out" version, where whenever i saw her chewing i'd put her in her cage immediately, hoping that she'd associate doing that w/ no more play time, but alas nothing has worked.

does the whole apple bitter/vinegar spray work? shouldi try that? i'm in a rental house so thats why i'm trying to get her to stop, and when i move again this summer there is no way she can keep doing this.

or is this just a hopeless wish? thanks guys :)

Rabbits chew unfortunately. They do it for physical and psychological reasons, so it's not easy to stop.

Have you tried giving her things like digging boxes and a variety of things she can chew? different woods? shapes? willow balls and that sort of things? Phone books?

The other thing you can do is block off the places she chews, like don't let her under your bed. Lots of people use NIC panels to do this effectively, I just use different things for different places.

thanks for the quick reply. yes she does have willow balls/matts and a phone book.

i think she's just a chewer, and you're right i'm just going to have start restricting where she can go. i just thought i might be able to train her not to :( haha.

thanks a lot!

It's not really possible to train them not to, because it's a need they have, but you can block off the areas, and also try a wider variety of things to attract her attention :) Good luck.

I know this won't help you other than to let you know that your not alone but we are on our third computer mouse FOR THE WEEK right now! The only room that we can block off for Lucy unfortunately is also the only room that we can put the computer in. We have gotten in the habit of pushing the chair out to the center of the room when we aren't using the computer but every once in a while somebody forgets. My daughter forgot twice this week:? It's not even like Lucy really chews up the wires, the mouse will still be sitting in it's place by the computer, the wires will just be in two pieces:biggrin2:. Today I invested in a wireless mouse, 39.00 verses the 19.88 that I spend on the one earlier this week but it will save us money in the long run. She will still be able to bite the little spinny thing in the middle but at least she can't disconnect it anymore.

spoh wrote:
I know this won't help you other than to let you know that your not alone but we are on our third computer mouse FOR THE WEEK right now!
Today I invested in a wireless mouse, 39.00 verses the 19.88 that I spend on the one earlier this week but it will save us money in the long run. She will still be able to bite the little spinny thing in the middle but at least she can't disconnect it anymore.
I have a wireless mouse and I love it! At least this should help with the situation;). They go through the batteries though:shock:.

I hope this isn't bad, I looked everywhere and no one said it was bad, but I used the bitter apple and it worked really well. If anyone has info on it being bad, I'd LOVE to know, but until then, I'll keep using it. My baseboards are finally safe!!! :) Good luck! :)

Latest posts

Back