Laying on back

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

maherwoman

Reaction score
Hey guys...quick, possibly slightly naive, question:

This morning, I woke to find Flower laying on her back, slightly stretched out. Is this something buns do very often? This is the first time either one of them have done as such, so I just want to be sure this isn't an indicator of anything bad.

Does this mean she's really comfortable here? Could it be that she's imitating the kitties, in their laying on their backs, stretched out like that? I ask because I've seen her imitate Maisie with quite a few things, so it's not at all out-of-reach for her to do the same with the kitties.

It was really adorable to see her on her back with her little hind legs in the air, and her front paws kinda tucked up a bit. She's so cute!!

It's just a really, really over done dead bunny flop...

Wildfire will often do a roll with her DBF's, but she never stays on her back for more than a few seconds.

I've had at least one baby in just about every litter I've ever raised that I would always find on it's back.

And here's a picture of my foster babies doing it (this was a few weeks ago):
June122006034.jpg

--Dawn

I know that rabbits being prey animals and all feel less comfortable being held on their backs, but not totally sure when they are lying down. I think it would be more common for them to lie on their backs when they are really comfortable or maybe sleepy and are at ease in their home or surroundings. I think it not uncommon and to take it as a good sign!:bunnydance:

I know for dogs lying on their backs is a sign of trust and you as the owner being the dominant being, not sure if this works with rabbits or not.

Seeing your bunny sleeping on her back or side is definitely a good thing! It means that they are totally comfortable where they are and that they trust you! Some of my rabbits I will catch flopping and then as soon as they hear me they will jump up (those are usually my rescued rabbits). And then I have rabbits who were born here who will come up and watch TV with my on the couch and flop right next to me.

Here is Nimue just coming out of a flop:

P7010011.jpg

Oh and ignore the cage size, that was his travel cage :D

~Amy

My mum says that she caught Ellie with her paws in the air( which I totally find hard to believe).

I would take it as a sign of trust and how comfortable they are with you.

ps. whenever I see Ellie she just looks grumpy. I think she like my mum better!!:foreheadsmack:

I have seen Chocolate Bunny and Cassidy lying on their backs fast asleep,i have seen the others do it but only for a quick second because they were doing a roll thingy and they rolled a bit to far and they rolled on their backs but never stayed like that,except for Chocolate Bunny and Cassidy who stayed in that position for quite a while with their little paws up in the air,and you can see them twitching their little front paws,dreaming about all the good things in life,that mummy provides:)

i know when i first seen mine do it,i was like:stikpoke,just to make sure nothing was wrong lol

So yeah take that as a good sign that Flower is very,very comfy in your home:D

cheryl

That's so great to know that my little (well, not little anymore) Flower is so comfy in her home! I was quite puzzled to see her like that. She's so grateful for every little thing, I'm not surprised she's comfortable. I would be, too, if I'd lived my first six weeks in a total slum of a home! I love her so much! :) What a cutie!

Back