Late Spaying?

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

HareToday

Reaction score
We finally got our rabbits sexed by the vet to know for sure that they are both female. (I was correct!) Our girls are about 10 weeks and 4 months and the vet said for medical reasons they wouldn't need to be spayed until before 2 years. I always hear 6 months, is that correct? She did say if we wanted to bring the older one in for a spay in a couple months we could, she doesn't even weigh 2 lbs now, so she said she preferred to wait.

You can spay her at any time, it depends on how comfortable your vet is with her size. Smaller animals can be trickier because tinier bits. Waiting till 2 years old is perfectly fine from a health standpoint, but in the meantime hormonal behaviour can be hard to live with and will definitely prevent your bunnies from bonding, so for external reasons, the sooner the better. 6 months is a good general guideline, but that of course depends on your bunny's size and the vet's level of comfort.

I am sure we will want to spay her sooner for hormonal reasons as well. It is good to know her advice is correct on when to spay for health reasons though. I will just make an appointment for six months then and change it to earlier if she gets really hormonal. So far, nothing :)

Latest posts

Back