larger rabbit breeds

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Trigger101

Reaction score
What are some larger rabbit breeds that will most likely do good with other animals and loves there humans? I am trying to think of breeds I can have when I move out of my parents house(in 3 years) and have time for bunnies. I have had a Giant Lop before and wouldn't mind another but I want to diversify my options. I have seen some pic son here where there bunny is the same size as a cocker spaniel :shock: What breeds are those? I would like a bigger bunny because I won't feel like I will kill them(by stepping on them ect.) and I like bigger bunnies. Don't get me wrong I love trigger(mini lop) and oreo(rex mix maybe with English Spot) but I like to mix it up a little :) Plus I plan on having bigger dog breeds(labs,german shepherd, rottweilers) and I think a bigger bunny would be better since they wouldn't be running the bunny over.

The larger breeds I can think of include french lops, New Zealands, continental giants, and flemish giants. :)

I think the big big ones you mentioned are continental giants though I am not 100% sure. :)

Go for a Flemish Giant or maybe another Giant Checkered. I think both are big, lovely rabbits and would definitely fit in your future plans.

Big bunnies must be so neat to have around the house. And truly understand about the little guys and the "stepping on them accidently" fear.

Like your pics of dogs too. Wishing you luck on your future "Pet" plans.

K:)

I really like the flemish Giant and the continental giants!! If the angora didnt have so much Hair I would want one of them also :) I will do some more research on the breeds :) Thanks

I think continental giants might be harder to find in the US than the flemish, so thats another thing to keep in mind. But yes having a large rabbit would be pretty neat.

Rex are another great breed.
When I had a litter of them the babies were just absolute puppies! They have such a puppy personality.
I think they would get along quite well with cats and larger breed dogs.

Emily

13413_281518_010000000.jpg

Here is my Flemish Giant with a Cocker Spaniel!!!

She loves her dog and is bonded with my husban and myself. She does pet therapy work and never meets a stranger. I love the personilty. There is never a dull moment at our place.

French Lops! They're amazing rabbits, with fairly laid-back dispositions. There's nothing quite like laying on the couch and having 12+ pounds come leaping up on your chest. LOL

I really am loving the Flemish Giant. I like French lops too :) Paddy Ohara where did you get your bun from? It may be a fewyears but I am interested in knowing. Tennesse isn't to far from Illinois and I don't think we have any breeder around here for Flemish Giants.

Trigger101 wrote:
I really am loving the Flemish Giant. I like French lops too :) Paddy Ohara where did you get your bun from? It may be a fewyears but I am interested in knowing. Tennesse isn't to far from Illinois and I don't think we have any breeder around here for Flemish Giants.
I bought her from Old Mill Road Farms. I found her through the Smoky Mountain Flemish Giant Society. I had a hard time finding Flemish giants and she was the first one to finally return messages to me. Paddy O'Hara was 2 in March so I found this breeder about 3 years ago. According to her website (oldmillroadfarms.webs.com) , she may not be breeding anymore. We bought 2 one for me at home and one for my work (Nashville zoo). They both have amazing personalities and are so good with people especially kids. My vet also has a Flemish giant and he bought his in Kentucky ( I think he said Bowling Green). I think there was a rabbit show in Louisville this past weekend which may be closer to you and you may be able to find someone there who breeds Flemish giants. I have never been to a rabbit show and I think I would like to go next year to check it out. I tried to rescue one first but I found this route very difficult and unsuccessful. I did not know about this forum during my search for Flemish Giants but perhaps you can find someone in this group that may be closer to you. The thing I like best (besides personality) are the ears. they are always up and that just makes me smile more.

Latest posts

Back