Large in-door rabbit runs

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Thumps

Reaction score
We would like to make 2 large in-door runs for our bunnies, Fiver and Thumper, either as an extention to their cage or as aseperate area.

They do have lots of free range time in the house but because they don't get along, their time out is more limited as both buns can't be out at the same time.

Thumper especially is very large (larger than an average sized cat) , he's also very stronge so the wood and other materials would have to be verystronge.

Can you tell me which type of wood is both safe and stronge and also what type of mesh to buy. Is the normal chicken wiretype mesh stronge enough?

Thank you for any help.

Jackie

A better idea would be to use dog exercise pens or to make pens out of wire shelving grids. I think you can find the in the UK at Argos, I'm not sure what the brand name is over there.

Chicken wire is pretty weak and isn't a good idea for rabbits. I think it might also be a bit too scratchy, but I'm not sure because I don't have any around the house.

Or maybe you could use baby gates and let them out in different rooms?

This is what I used for a time. its a 3 foot tall dog gate. It has worked really well. I had it clipped to the sides of the cage. I still use the gate but in a diffferent way. its one of the best things I have bought for the buns.

Lancelot-cage-1.jpg

When we first got Pebbles, we used the hallway for her run. We just blocked the entrances with large pieces of cardboard and let her out for a few hours a day. With your bunnies, they would take turns.

Rainbows! :)

Thank you for your replies. I think the cubes we use for ourguinea pigs just wouldn't be stronge enough for the buns, especially as we need the run to be muchhigher. We'd like the buns to be able to use a run/pen for during the night too, unsupervised, so I'd prefer to have something with a top or at least something high so there is no fear of them escaping.

This photo was taken when we was preparing the cages for the piggies and you can see what a large rabbit Thumper is compared to a piggy.

I'm not sure a 3 foot dog pen would be tall enough.

One of my buns looks the same size as yours, and I have never had a problem with them jumping over. I make sure to not keep anything close to the edge also. They use the pen as there cage now, I just have it going from one side of a room to the other. You could get a taller pen if youe really dont think the 3 foot would be tall enough, they have much taller ones for larger dogs, 4 and 5' I think.

Thank you honeybunnie, at first I thought 3 feet didn't seem very high for Thumper but I got my tape measure out and it probably would be high enough. He is a bit of a jumper, but I don't think I've seen him leap that high lol Like you say, as long as I don't keep anything near that would tempt him to jump. Thanks for your help :)

Latest posts

Back