Lap-inject???

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jcottonl02

Reaction score
I get my buns vaccinated twice a year against Myxi, and once a year against VHD.

I've been hearing about bad side effects of the Cylap VHD vaccination, and my vets seem quite opposed to using that specific vaccination now, which I kind of agree with. So we have moved my bunnies on to Lapinject, which seems according to research to be much better than Cylap, with none of those bad side affects.

Can anyone give me a little more detail? Tell me if my info is correct?

Thanks. I'm quite wary when changing something I've been used to for so long, especially when it's this important to my bunnies.

Thanks

Jen

Flashy wrote:
I don't know what vaccine they have over there, but over here (being the UK) we have one called Cylap, and one called Lapinject. They both work against VHD, however, the Cylap vaccine carries an awful lot of undesirable side effects. If you have the choice, ask for Lapinject, which seems to be kinder on the buns, but if you have Cylap then be aware that you can see a variety of side effects over the following days (localised reaction-can be soreness, a scab, flakey skin, a limp in a front leg, lethargy- similar to humans being achey after a vaccination, loss of appetite, losing fur-this may occur after a week or two.).

For mine, they all have the Cylap vaccine, but after some nasty hairloss reactions any bunny under 1.7kg get a half dose of the vaccine and I've not seen any side effects in them since (I have 18 buns currently, and more previously, so we're a bit tried and tested with that).

Good luck :) I hope it all goes smoothly.

^^^ From Flashy in the other thread.

Thanks Pipp(and Flashy) :) I will continue with the lapinject

Jen

jcottonl02 wrote:
I get my buns vaccinated twice a year against Myxi, and once a year against VHD.

I've been hearing about bad side effects of the Cylap VHD vaccination, and my vets seem quite opposed to using that specific vaccination now, which I kind of agree with. So we have moved my bunnies on to Lapinject, which seems according to research to be much better than Cylap, with none of those bad side affects.

Can anyone give me a little more detail? Tell me if my info is correct?

Thanks. I'm quite wary when changing something I've been used to for so long, especially when it's this important to my bunnies.

Thanks

Jen
how is he? is he doing better>

I haven't seen any side-effects with Benji from his first lapinject one, which is great.
I am taking Pippin for his booster next week so I'll see how he is, but I think everything should be fine. They never had any reaction to the Cylap injection, and as Lapinject is known to have fewer and less-harsh side-effects they should be fine :)

Thanks Taylor

Thanks, lapinject seems to be doing absolutely fine with them both. I never saw any side-effects from the Cylap, except a possible unexplained bald patch on Benji which mysteriously disappeared a week ago, just when I was about start the whole 'blood test, culture test' journey. Rephrase....'b****y expensive journey' :D
So I am very pleased about that. Although I really would like to know what caused it to be there for 8 months....and then just mysteriously disappear. It didn't seem to get better- I checked it a few weeks beforehand and it seemed just as bald as it was before and then it just....disappeared....
I am very happy about it :)

Jen

The one used in the UK is called Nobivac-myxo, and is very good- doesn't seem to have any side-effects etc.

:)
It is given either 6monthly or yearly depending on whether you are in a high-risk area. VHD vaccination is given every year.

Jen

Latest posts

Back