Lack of Poops

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

whaleyk98

Reaction score
Ok. I need an opinion. My friend has not had rabbit food in about 3 or so days. Therefore her rabbit has not eaten food other than carrots and chreerios for 3 - 4 days. She cleaned the cage the beginning of this week (Mon or Tues)and she just told me today that there has only been a couple poops in the cage since the cage was cleaned. Im assuming this is bad. He doesnt have an appetite either and she has pellets for him now but he wont eat. I cant get through to her that it is bad for a rabbit not to have anything too eat for such a long time but she just doesnt get it. Shes not a bad person but shes the type of person that thinks that its just an animal. Im worried about the bunny. Any thoughts??

I am having to bite my tongue not to say what I think of your friend.

We are all trying our best to keep our rabbits from having stasis and stay healthy and she is creating it in her bun.

A rabbit that does not eat will get a fatty liver; this is serious ; that is why rabbits cannot be fasted ; it causes organ damage.

is there any way that you can get the rabbit from her. I can tell you what to do but I don't think that this woman/girl will do it.

this rabbit needs to be given sub q fluids and if not that start the bun off on pedialyte per syringe.

The rabbit's GI tract most likely is shut down and the rabbit is mostllikely weak.
If the rabbit won't eat even after being offered food like wet greens and hay then the rabbit needs to be started eating soft food per syringe like pure canned pumpkin, vegetable baby food, critical care if you can get it , and if not have her make a pellet slurry of the pellets so it can be syringe fed.

I hope that you can get this rabbit from her because I think he /she has no chance if left with her. :(

I too have to bite my tongue when it comes to this. She doesnt think that anything bad can happen and I know for a fact that since she thinks that, she will not let me have the bun so I can care for it. I told her to keep an eye on it but she doesnt know what the %$#@ to look for. My hands are tied behind my back. I need to know what to look for and what is abnormal so that I can relay this to her. By the way...its not just her bunny either. She has also "forgoten" to buy her dog food for the past week or so also and he has been living off spaghetti and other people foods. ugh. :XSometimes I wonder why some people have pets....

can you get some hay and greens for her rabbit and give them to her

maybe this rabbit will eat on his own if given something that tastes good .

Could you just tell her that you'll take care of him until he starts eating again?

tell her that it requires special care and a lot of time and offer to help her?

Icannot see a person like this syringing fluids or staying up to watch the little bun :nerves1

tell her that the fact that the rabbit is not eating at all or pooping is a very serious problem that requires special care and/or veterinary care.

Ifeel so bad for this poor rabbit ......

This is sad. I would offer to help as much as possible, but don't let her take advantage of you or depend solely on you to feed her animals. Maybe politely mention that not having proper food can lead to an animal cruelty citation?

For the bunny, I'd offer veggies and hay. Make sure it's hydrated and has hay to eat. Pellets aren't such a huge part of the diet, so as long as she as hay her intestines should at least still be moving.

Ok. Thanks very much for the tips guys. I will see what the situation is in the morning and I will be sure to update.

So today she said that there are still very little poops but she has been eating carrots and some pellets. She had the nerve to say to me if my rabbit dies can I have one of yours...meaning one of my precious baby buns!! No Way! I told her that my buns only go to households that actually remember to feed their animals - ha ha!

Can you tell her to feed her rabbit timothy hay? ; it sounds like she is just giving her/him pellets and junk...

This is a good opportunity for you to teach her about rabbits.

Believe me I tried. Im going to buy it myself and give her some. This is the only way it will happen.She usually has hay around but I dont know whats going on lately. She lives like 1/2 hr from me so its kind of hard to go there alot but Im going to go and check on the bun this week. Ill keep everyone posted and thanks again.

I just wanted to update on this situation. The bunny is fine thank goodness. I am getting a bunch of bales of hay from a local farmer here and Im picking her up some as well.....this way she will have it on had for a long time. Thanks everyone for your advice=)

Kate -thank you for putting yourself out for this poor bunny.

It sounds like this bunny is really low on her life priorities .. and the fact that she mentioned possibly getting one of your bunnies if hers dies, just makes me rather sad.
Maybe if she is open to the suggestion of re-homing the bunny to someone who really has more interest and time for the rabbit would be a good idea.

Latest posts

Back