L brackets for NIC cage

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Thumpers_Mom

Reaction score
I am about to go out and buy material for the new nic cage I am going to build and would like to know how you secure the second level with the L brackets instead of using wood dowels?

Thx everyone!

Neato! Let me know how much the brackets cost, could you? I need 17 of them for my cage. What cage are you making? I'm making one like Kellyjade's bunnies Sophie and Apollo has (look in their blog), with a few changes because I can never leave anything alone. First, it's only going to be two panels high instead of three because I think my bunnies might have a hard time jumping up to the assorted levels if they're so high up. Also, the first level will have 4 panels instead of 3 because i figured they'd have more space and it will be sturdier. Last, I'm going to reverse which side the opening to "the penthouse" is on. Kellyjade made her cage from Trixie's plans in the NIC thread in Photophiles. I'm also planning to use Coroplast for the base instead of wood. I just had a light bulb go on in my head and I want to use carpet to cover the base and the pegboard on the levels. Can you get carpet remnants at Home Depot I wonder?

Anyhoo, good luck with the cage! I want to see pictures when it's done!

SnowyShiloh wrote:
Neato! Let me know how much the brackets cost, could you? I need 17 of them for my cage. What cage are you making? I'm making one like Kellyjade's bunnies Sophie and Apollo has (look in their blog), with a few changes because I can never leave anything alone. First, it's only going to be two panels high instead of three because I think my bunnies might have a hard time jumping up to the assorted levels if they're so high up. Also, the first level will have 4 panels instead of 3 because i figured they'd have more space and it will be sturdier. Last, I'm going to reverse which side the opening to "the penthouse" is on. Kellyjade made her cage from Trixie's plans in the NIC thread in Photophiles. I'm also planning to use Coroplast for the base instead of wood. I just had a light bulb go on in my head and I want to use carpet to cover the base and the pegboard on the levels. Can you get carpet remnants at Home Depot I wonder?

If Rory is a chewer you might not want to risk carpet because he could get into big trouble with it.

You can buy L brackets in a bunch of different sizes, and the bigger the size the more they cost. I found that they work best if they are about half the length of the panels and positioned at the joints.

You will need to use cable ties that are a bit smaller than the normal size. You should be able to find those in the hardware store as well. I just took the bracket and tested all the sizes of cable ties till I found the best fit. Go as big as possible for strength.

You may not need one at every joint. Start at the weakest point and keep adding till the structures seems strong enough for your buns. Buy enough for all joints, and just return any you don't use.

--Dawn

Thx guys! I did build the cage yesterday and now just need to cut one more sliver of pegboard (got to tired last night) but Home Depot (2 of them) only had decorative L Brackets!!! So I am still on the prowl for them. :grumpy:

I'll be posting pics shortly. :biggrin2:

Flashy wrote:
SnowyShiloh wrote:

If Rory is a chewer you might not want to risk carpet because he could get into big trouble with it.
I have carpet squares in my cage. I get them at a small carpet store near me for .50 cents each. They are the sample squares customers look at in the store, so the edges are finished, no unraveling as you would have with reminents and they have a very sturdy backing which helps hold them in place. They are exactally the width of one panel so 14" by about 20" I would say.

Back