kunoshima/Usagishima/"Bunny Island"?

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Have you guys heard of this place? I did quite some time ago and I'm surprised that I couldn't find a thread about it anywhere here! (I did a search, nothing showed up...so I hope this isnt a repeat thread!)

Ōkunoshima (大久野島?) is a small island located in the Inland Sea of Japan in the city of Takehara, Hiroshima Prefecture. It is accessible by ferry from Tadanoumi and Ōmishima. There are campsites, walking trails and places of historical interest on the island. It is often called Usagi Jima (ウサギ島?, "Rabbit Island") because of the numerous wild rabbits that roam the island; they are rather tame and will approach humans.
Ōkunoshima played a key role during World War II as a poison gas factory for much of the chemical warfare that was carried out in China.
From Wikipedia.

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GUcsk7UZvcU"]Here's a video[/ame].

Some photos (pulled from Google):
kunoshima-bunny-rabbits.jpg

Usagi-Shima.jpg

1153_0458.jpeg

tumblr_m4x2jvSkeB1rsjb68o2_r1_500.jpg

Cats/dogs/trapping/hunting are not permitted on the island, though camping/swimming/etc are.

Some of my friends were planning a trip to Tokyo within the next few years--if I go, I fully intend to spend extra money to take a day trip here!

Yes I have heard about it and have some photos on my pininterest bunny photo site. I want to go big time!! They look like some really friendly bun bun!!!!

Back