Knee/wrist surgery, Benn's prom, a box of quackers and Saoirse's first full day out with the herd

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

DeniseJP

Reaction score
First: It stinks getting old - have to have a knee arthrogram (MRI with contrast) due to chronic knee problems and my snowboarding adventure back in February resulted in a fall where I went forward - didn't think much of the pain at first but it was not going away, is getting worse and when my brother saw it (he's a licensed massage therapist) he said get to the doctor. Three xrays later it is not broken but the ligaments are torn inbetween the bones and it is "not something that can be fixed with a cortisone shot" according to the PA, "but the knee is worse so we will deal with that first."

Second: Benn's senior ball tonight... and in less than a month and a half, he graduates from high school. He opted to go in a suit that he picked out, rather than a tux and it was definitely a Benn outfit. :) He also opted to take my truck to pick up his date - they felt that it would be more fun to go in a diesel pickup when everyone else has decided to take "fancy cars."

Third - I am having problems with some weeds that I need natural weed control for... hence, I purchased a "box of quackers" - three Indian Runner ducks and a fourth was thrown in as the breeder was not sure if he was a purebred. They rode quite civilized in my truck in their box and when they got too warm, I had the air on and stopped at Dunkin Donuts to get myself a coffee and to get water for the ducks and they were drinking it from my hand quite thankfully. They are about 5 weeks old and almost fully feathered.

Saoirse has been out with the herd supervised but today she was out for the whole day. She stayed close by Mercy, who was her guardian (and disciplinarian when Saoirse was getting obnoxious) and Weatherly was well-behaved - she is the one I worry about as she does not know her size.

Saoirse has matured enough to know how to stay safe and watching her gallop and play with the wind in her mane and tail was fantastic.

And finally, my mini mare Freedom has had a weight problem... she loves to get on her knees and prune the grass under the electric fence... I have reduced her rations and clipped her to see how much was hair and how much was pudge... and there is pudge. Pudgy horses are at risk for laminitis/founder and Freedom has had blood work done to rule out insulin resistance or thyroid issues and she does not have any issues there... she just loves to eat.

I found a basket muzzle for minis that will allow her to eat and drink but it will keep her eating a bit slower and hopefully will help her to slim down to a healthy weight. A friend's horse with a weight problem and laminitis slimmed down drastically using a horse sized basket muzzle and can move better so I am hoping to see some improvement for Freedom.

Whew!

Denise

Update - Freedom also has a skin infection that needed treatment so I put the muzzle on her for a test run. Freedom kept coming up to me get the medicine rubbed on her itchy skin but was peeved about the muzzle, even after I helped her to get food into it. There was a lot of head tossing, snorting, kicking and foot stamping...

I took pics on my cell so I hope to share those with everyone tomorrow...

Time for bed!

Denise

We talked about those muzzles in my nutrition class and my professor had nothing but good things to say about them, so I wish you luck!

And yay upcoming pictures!

Hi Denise!

I agree...getting old sucks big time!

Are the ligaments torn in your knee or wrist? I think I'm a bit confused.

Congrats for your son, and good luck with all the other stuff :biggrin:

Patti: I am still able to laugh about it all - at least as far as the surgery goes...if I get thrown roses they go in a vase; manure gets thrown into the garden... sometimes you just have to roll with whatever life delivers to you...my grandmother had a saying that God never gives you more than you can deal with.

Jim: Knee is a mangled mess that dates back to an injury in 2003 when my GSP Bridget collided with me going 35 mph... and I felt a pop and a tear but no real pain (MCL torn clean off the bone) - meniscus tears that keep happening due to an unstable 50% torn ACL probably due to the misdiagnosis on the MCL tear by the first doctor... my neighbor is an orthopaedic surgeon and he fixed it and has been caring for it ever since...wrist is a new injury due to my snowboarding adventure back in February that I hoped would heal on its own... (NOT)...

Christina: Freedom is showing signs of weight loss... I am grateful the company had them in her size.

Denise

slavetoabunny wrote:
:bouquet::bouquet::bouquet::bouquet::bouquet::bouquet:

Thanks! After today, I can use some uplifting smilies!!!

Denise

Camping this past weekend was good but not what I expected... Weatherly would not settle down, decided to come in season and then had a "bad barometric pressure day" - the trail ride started off OK then she saw a stream and crossed it and launched me like a space shuttle on landing on the other side... I landed where God padded me well, then whacked my (helmeted) head on the ground (instead of the tree close by) and rolled to get out of Weatherly's way - she was already on it and jumped to the side. A word to those who ride - WEAR a helmet at all times... when things like this happen, you will be glad you have it on. Mine protected me as it was intended to do!

A bit battered and bruised (knee was OK... wrist might be more of a story... I can see my surgeon whacking his head against the wall:whistling:shame:banghead), I opted to let my friends pony Weatherly and run her with the other horses, which she did fine with when I was not on her... walked back and got another horse to ride and that worked out well (along with some horse liniment on my aching parts). After a shower I did a supervised swim in a cold, clear pond (low 70s Fahrenheit on the surface, low 60s Fahrenheit below the surface) which was the equivalent of icing my whole body down, then another warm shower and I am moving pretty good.

We discussed Weatherly's behavior and I said I am going to have her reading done... maybe see if she wants to wait before we ride more and to make sure she is OK with me... she bonded with me again after the fact - she looked like she was afraid to come near me until I encouraged her and then she was sniffing me all over and started following me again. I got a sense she felt she hurt me and felt bad about it.

She walked with me onto the horse trailer to go down and to go home - she made a lot of progress there - no more fearfulness or fighting because she was scared so I will have to find common ground to have her learn how to be a riding horse (she is 4 and young still).

On the other hand, she looked pretty with her tail up like a flag and her trot with suspension in the field...

And I learned a new card game that was fun - all the ladies played after riding and dinner.

Whew - and now I have to work today. :grumpy:

Denise

im curious - what card game did you learn?

do you see an animal communicator for weatherley's reading?

hoping you arent too sore after your weekend - just smile sweetly at your next appointment:innocent

hartleybun wrote:
im curious - what card game did you learn?

do you see an animal communicator for weatherley's reading?

hoping you arent too sore after your weekend - just smile sweetly at your next appointment:innocent

Scheduled the animal communicator reading with Weatherly - hoping to hear from her tomorrow as today was not a good day here for me to sit for the IM...she was the one mentioned by Peg on this board.

Card game was something called Scat... you get three cards - first person to hit 18 can "knock" and everyone has a chance to get a max score - lowest score pays a quarter to the center - if you get 31, you can set all your cards down - "Scat" - and everyone else pays. We never got far enough to determine how to split up the pile of chocolate chips we were playing for... :)

Other than some surnburned shoulders I am moving pretty well considering the launch I took... thanks to a hot shower, then a dunk in a cold pond and another warm shower to follow.... and horse liniment rubbed into sore muscles... almost as good as new!

Denise

Latest posts

Back