kits haven't been fed

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

akane

Reaction score
They were born between 4 and 5pm and it's almost 10pm now. I tried researching how long is normal but the best answer I got was it may be hours. Is 4-5hours without a first meal too long? The doe pulled fur and had them all in the nest box before going back to sitting in the far corner where she spent the whole day before giving birth. 1 still born and 2 that look normal and are still active but wrinkly with empty bellies. Her nipples are swollen but I'm not sure whether milk was coming out. She was very unhappy to be handled so I only checked her over real quick and put her back. I didn't think this was her first litter since she's a year and a half old but the breeder did not answer me about that when I emailed her later.

Mothers won't generally feed their kits until anywhere from 24 to 48 hours after the birth. It's completely normal. Some will feed them right away, and some will wait.
The mother has to get the milk in - it doesn't come in right away. ;)

Emily

I'm used to horses who bag up well in advance and are usually squirting milk all over the place by the time the foal comes. My other doe also fed hers within at least 6 hours. She was first seen in the nestbox at 2am and the next morning one of the kits had been fed. By afternoon both had been fed.

They got fed sometime in the night. Their bellies are not really big but they aren't wrinkly either and they are still very active. The doe finally went back to eating too.

The doe is being very lethargic but she was doing that 24 hours before she had kits. She did eat last night but today all I've seen her eat is a mouthful of hay and a couple blades of mature grass. Should I be concerned and try to get more food like soaked pellets down her or is it normal for some of them not to be very active?

Back