Kits born o Wire

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Bunnybarn123

Reaction score
Hi All,

Just wanted to ask, what is the best way to warm up kits that were bornon wire :shock:and cold. I haven't experienced this in theyear I have been raising these little guys. This is a first time Mom,even though the maternity cages are in my room the babies were icecold. The Mom did not pull hair and so I was able to put them on somehair from a Mom who overpulled. I have them under a warming light andthey appear to be warming up but seems very slow. They arealso very sticky, should I try to wipe them off? Gypsy, any suggestions?

Pam

Many women will actually stick the kits in theirbra to warm them up :p I prefer a heating pad set on a verylow temp. Kits should be *slowly* warmed. It maytake up to 24 hours for them to maintain their own body temperature.

They can also be fostered to another litter -- they will quickly warm up when placed in the box with others.

For kits that have suffered from hypothermia and are very cold, immerse in tepid water. (not over their heads)

Pam

LOL Pamthats exactlly what I do and afew other human Moms too , pickthem up pop them inthebra and then search fora heating pad lol . One advantageto putting them in Your bra isYou can quickly judge just how far intohypothermia they are , and canadapt to their immediate needs, Ihave done this with so manycritters I couldnt even begin to listthem all , I have to warnyou people tend to look atyou funny while out shoppingthe forgotten chick popps its head outfor a look around ( it was sowarm and comfortable it never made asound , and I forgot it was there . )

gypsy wrote:
I have to warn youpeople tend to look at youfunny while out shopping the forgottenchick popps its head out for a look around( it was so warm andcomfortable it never made a sound , and I forgotit was there . )

:laugh:Gypsy that's hilarious!!

gypsy wrote:
LOL Pam thatsexactlly what I do and a fewother human Moms too , pick themup pop them inthe braand then search for a heatingpad lol .
I have donethis with so many crittersI couldnt even begin to list them all ,I have to warn youpeople tend to look at youfunny while out shopping the forgottenchick popps its head out for a look around( it was so warm andcomfortable it never made a sound , and I forgotit was there . )
Don't laugh! It's agreat way to warmthem.OMG! I can't tell you how many times I've puta kit or two into my bra to warm them! (My barn is so farfrom the house, they could freeze to death on theway!) It's a great way to warm them slowly, then Iput them on a low heating pad (cause their body temps are higher thanours...) or pop them into another litter for a little while til I seehow momma is going to handle the motherhood thing.

As far as the sticky skin, you can gently wash them with acotton ball dipped in warm water (squeeze out the extra water), butmake sure you wipe them dry and don't let them catch a chill.

My 14 year old daughter and I done that, we put3 each inside our bras, then after they pikened up and felt warm we putthem back into a nest with the extra hair. We tried putting the boxback in with mom, she could care less. Hsn't even looked at it, sadlywe checked a few minutes ago and lost 3:(. The only other litters Ihave are 5days and 7days respectively. Afraid the kits may be too roughfor the newborns.

I have another proven doe on day 29 right now but she is always a 31day doe. I really don't want to lose the remaining 3. Do you think theother littlers would be too rough for the newborns? I am very worried.:?

Pam

Bunnybarn123 wrote:
My 14 year old daughter and I done that, we put 3 eachinside our bras, then after they pikened up and felt warm we put themback into a nest with the extra hair. We tried putting the box back inwith mom, she could care less. Hsn't even looked at it, sadly wechecked a few minutes ago and lost 3:(. The only other litters I haveare 5days and 7days respectively. Afraid the kits may be too rough forthe newborns.

I have another proven doe on day 29 right now but she is always a 31day doe. I really don't want to lose the remaining 3. Do you think theother littlers would be too rough for the newborns? I am very worried.:?

Pam
I've done it before and its worked out fine - but I have lionheads andthey're pretty gentle. At 5 days and 7 days it doesn't seemlike they can do much to them...my concern is will mama have enoughmilk to nurse them (foster moms).

These are Lionheads as well, one momma is the JWbut she has 6 in her nest. The other two moms each have 4 in theirboxes. Do you think I should try to divide the three remaining among myothers. I know Buzzy in the past has had 7-8 in her litters before.Destiny has only had 5 in a litter before, but Ruby has had 8 before. Itried to put the box in with Mom again and she started trying to pulleverything out and trying to push the box around. So I took the box outagain. I guess I could try the other Mom's.

Pam

Bunnybarn123 wrote:
These are Lionheads as well, one momma is the JW but she has6 in her nest. The other two moms each have 4 in their boxes. Do youthink I should try to divide the three remaining among my others. Iknow Buzzy in the past has had 7-8 in her litters before. Destiny hasonly had 5 in a litter before, but Ruby has had 8 before. I tried toput the box in with Mom again and she started trying to pull everythingout and trying to push the box around. So I took the box out again. Iguess I could try the other Mom's.

Pam
I would definitely try the other moms. I had a case recentlywhere I had to split up a litter of three - I put two with the mama whohad the least babies and the third with a mama that had morebabies. One of them was still having problems - so when I hada new litter (the first were 10 days old) - I put the runt with the newlitter - and he started thriving.

I'm fortunate in the fact I can tell who is who though....for example -a sable point in with 4 torts and an orange really stands out.....

Well I don't have a bra to put cold babies in LOL. So I have to resort to a tepid

bath and towels warmed in the dryer. It works pretty well for me.

If a doe doesn't pull fur you can easily pullsome from her. I also have

mothers that pull way too much fur and I save it just in case.

If it were me I would foster the larger kits out of one of the older litters

to the other older litter and put the newborns with the smaller kits. I have

done that before and it worked fine. I did mark the ears with a permanent

marker so that I would know who the dam was.

Roger L

wintermelon wrote:
How do u tell they are just cold and not yet dead??
I agree with Roger , you cantalways tell but if you touchthem if they are nt too farout they will actually jump and make atiny noise . If they dont move at allyour in deep with them andusually they dont survive .

LOL Roger , totally understand the nobra point lol , I haveforgotten at times none was there andplopped a baby in only tofeel something chilly onmy stomach , most times takes aminute to figure out what happened . Goodthing I usually wear my shirtstucked in the barn LOl .

The 3 remaining kits seem to be doing okay. Niceand pink, I put them with Buzzy who is a very experienced doe. These 3kits are very much different in color then the ones Buzzy has. Buzzyhad one kit a broken Tort(like Buzzy) and she has a sablepoint marten,Blk silver marten, tort otter, These three are all very light I amassuming they will be reg. tort as both Mom and Pop are tort. And thesekits are very pink with no color visible yet. My Dad is going to bringme some batteries tomorrow so I hope to have pics by tomorrow evening.

Pam

oic...hmmmm..will have to make sure they are really gone next time. I always assumed the cold ones were gone......sigh

It can be very difficult to tell if the kit isactually still alive or has expired. The reflex response tohypothermia slows the heart rate andrestricts blood flow tothe extremities, diverting it to major organs. Arecentlydead kit may appear rather "deflated" and limp/floppycompared to the one that is actually still alive, but showing noresponse.

If they are actually still alive, they should show some response to warming within 1/2 hour.

Pam

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bradycardia

Hi All,

I am adding a pic of the 3 babies left from the litter born on the wireWednesday. Unfortunately even though they have warmed up I do not thinkthey have been able to eat in the nest with the older babies. Tiny hadher kits during the early am and only 2 so I have moved the other 3 inwith these two, however one appears to be deformed.

Okay all I have is a pic of the deformed kit from todays litter helooks like his ears are gone (maybe momma overcleaned)Butthere appears to be a hole in his/her head or an indentation.

Pam

Hi all,

I have pics of the deformed kit out of my chestnut Lionheads. Thelittle deformed one is still hanging in there. As long as he/she livesthey will be here with us. The little thing is so ugly it is cute. Hereis a pic:

Latest posts

Back