Kits and Rain Help!

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

belleshadow

Reaction score
My rabbit just had a litter, but the cage she's in is a "ground cage" meaning she's in a cage that's on the ground, but the cage does not have a bottom, and the kits's nesting box does not have a bottom to it either. This would not be a problem, but it is going to rain soon and I don't want them to get wet. I was planning on putting a tarp on the cage and putting cinder blocks around it to keep the water out. Does anyone have any suggestions? Please do answer quickly, it is going to rain soon, and baby rabbits are the one of the only things that can really stress me out.
Thanks.

They need to be off the ground. The nesting material will soak up whatever water seeps into the ground. If you can't put something solid under them, that won't let the water in... maybe a tarp?... then I'd move them.

Thank you for replying. I would put something under them, but I don't want to get my sent on the kits, and the mother is a first time mother and she is kind of skiddish, so I'm afraid of bothering her too much and causing her to reject the kits.

For the most part, that's a myth. We've had does who become protective and skittish when they had their first litter, but very seldom will a doe reject her kits just because you touched them. Are they wild or domesticated? If not wild, they need to be handled. Sometimes we'll distract mom with a treat while we check on them. You definitely don't want the kits to get wet because then they'll get cold.

Ok, thanks, sorry to raid you with questions, but I have also heard that you shouldn't disturb a rabbit after they've given birth, and I've already disturbed her quite a bit while looking in her nest for any dead kits and putting a tarp over her cage, would it disturb her too much to move, and touch her kits?

She needs to get used to you messing with them but I understand you don't want to overdo it. If you really think you can leave them where they are, well covered, and not get wet then leave them. The last thing you want is cold wet kits. You could bring them inside until the rain is finished then take them back out, but it's your call.

Sorry, this is the last question, I live in North Carolina in the U.S. and it is evening right now, and there's only 50% chance of rain tonight, and only a tenth of an inch possible, so if I just kept them covered tonight and moved them in the morning do you think that would not bother the mother too much?

They did just fine, thanks. when I went in there they were squeeling and hopping around. Thanks again for all your help.

Latest posts

Back