Kit colour help?

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Jenson

Reaction score
Hey all, Mulch had her 'litter' last night, one kit! :shock:

It looks blue on top, but it's tummy is lighter. My blues have always been a uniform blue all over, so I'm not sure what this one is.

Picture067.jpg

Picture066.jpg

Picture065.jpg

The colour difference shows most in the last one around the foot and elbow, and you can see how pink it's belly is in the second one. The tummy doesn't look light enough to be an otter to me, but I've never seen one that young.

Any ideas?

Thanks!

The mother is a pure blue, although she's quite light and looks more like a lilac. The father is one of two bucks, as I bred her with an unproven buck who had so far failed to produce a litter, then with my pure blue buck a few hours later so she wouldn't have a false pregnancy again as she stops eating and looks depressed (I'd bred her with the unproven buck twice with no results).

The unproven is a himi, his mum was a sable and his dad was blue. He also carries harlequin and smoke pearl, probably more that I havn't been told about. I bred him with the hope of getting a smoke pearl. If it is a smoke I'll be over the moon!

Any type of tan pattern can be ruled out because of the self blue parents and the possible himi sire being out of selfs.

Smoke pearl is possible (if both the self blues carry shaded). Or could be blue.

Pam

Probably a blue then. Any reason why the belly is lighter? I've never had a blue kit with a lighter belly.

Thanks Pam.

Could have been due to the fact that the kit is so young - any evidence of color coming in on the belly yet?

Pam

Yes you were right, he was blue. His belly colour darkened to match the rest over the last few days. Unfortunatly he died this morning though. :(

Thanks for your help.

im sorry for your loss jenson :(

very delayed and useless now, but my black selfs looked very different at birth, one wad far lighter than the other, but they ended up looking the same.

Latest posts

Back