Kit born with eyes open.

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Legs

Reaction score
Hi all, my partner and I were un aware our doe was pregnant and we're currently in a heat wave in Australia, this morning my partner found 3 babies, 2 dead and 1 alive however they all had their eyes open. I'm assuming the heat got the 2 unfortunately. What will cause kits to be born with open eyes? Will the survivor be blind?

Rabbits with the dwarf gene can have something called max factor babies, that are born with eyes open, may have deformed hind limbs, and may also have a different feel to their fur. Some do survive, but I'm not sure how humane it is as they can go on to have serious eye problems and mobility problems at the very least. This is the only genetic/health issue(eta: that I'm aware of) that will cause kits to be born with eyes open. If the last baby survives and you intend to keep it, you'll want to make sure you have a very good rabbit vet to provide it with good regular vet care, so as to make sure it doesn't develop serious eye and other health problems, and can have a good quality of life.
https://www.barrowbunnies.com/the-dwarf-gene-max-factor-and-hippos.html

Last edited:
this is horrible. Ofcourse I'm willing to foot any Bill's necessary as there is no way I could ever intentionally let the little jelly bean die. It doesnt appear to have any deformities and us quite mobile like any other new born kit

That's good to hear it's moving around well. I would just keep a very close watch to make sure mom is feeding it once or twice a day(fat round belly in the early morning and/or late evening) and stimulating it to pee/poop.

I would address the eye issue now with your vet. It may be necessary to start the baby on lubricating eye drops and/or antibiotic eye drops, to prevent any eye infection or other eye problems from developing because of it being born with it's eyes open.

Best of luck and I hope the baby does well. The link below has info on accidental litters, that you may find helpful. Also if you feel so inclined, keep us updated on the babies progress. I'd love to hear how it's doing.
https://flashsplace.webs.com/accidentallitters.htm

Jbun
Health and Wellness Moderator

Back