Kirby isn't pooping :( (Resolved)

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

pocketsizedrhino

Reaction score
I've been watching Kirby this morning and noticed she hadn't pooped for a couple of hours. I've seen her passing and munching on cecals and there were a couple lying around that she didn't eat. She has peed twice. She is eating her hay and her pellet food as well as drinking normally. She is only 2.5 months old. She has not been introduced to vegetables yet... would giving her some bok choy or kale help or make it worse since she hasn't had greens before?
She passed a few poos when I last checked on her. They were smaller than usual and dry looking.
I am at work until 6 (she is here... I work at a pet store and she spent the weekend here while I was out of town).
Can I massage her stomach somehow to help get her moving? If there is a way to do that...can someone explain how to do it?

Mine only poop at certain times of the day, but if this is unusual for Kirby and the last set were small, preventative medicine is best.

I'd grab a can of pumpkin - just plain pumpkin, not the sweetened pie-filling -- and give her some of that. And do what you can to get her to drink more fluids. I put a separate bowl with well diluted fruit juice down for mine.

Encourage her to run around.

If you want to try massaging her tummy, just carefully put her on her back on your lap and gently rub her abdomen in a circular motion moving downwards towards her tail.

ETA: She's a baby. She won't be molting yet. I wouldn't change her diet other than introducing a little pumpkin. Hay and grass should help.

sas :bunnydance:

She has been in an xpen all day so she has been hopping and running in there. I've only had her for about three weeks so I'm not sure if it is normal for her to have a break from pooping in the afternoon since I'm at work during the week at this time but I'm glad to hear that is also a possibility!
I have a big pile of alfalfa and botanical hay down for her right now and I'll grab a can of pumpkin after work!
Thank you for your advice! :)

If she hasn't pooed all day, syringe some water into her mouth and/or offer unsweetened pedialyte. That's the best way to get a gut going again: hydration.

whoa-,just like a tube of toothpaste,,,the belly/gi-tract should feel like bread dough,,and work everything toward its exit,.put the rabbit to your ear/listen and feel for abnormal sounds.,watch the poop box,,offer plenty of timothy or orchard grass,some pellets,and water in the diet,,,you sound panic-y.??.what else do we need to know!!,sincerely james waller

Maybe she didn't like staying at my work over the weekend. The minute I put her in her pen at home she pooped everywhere! She has been drinking normally and seems alright now that we're back here.

e-n-v-i-r-o-n-m-e-n-t-a-l-factors,..see how sensitive these fine creatures are,,she was stressed and uncomfortable,,this is very important to note for the future and well being of our rabbits,..sincerely james waller

Latest posts

Back