Kirby has diarrhea

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Kamaor

Reaction score
This morning when I was getting ready for work I noticed a strong bunny poop odor coming from Kirby's cage. When I went to check on him he had diarrhea. I also noticed the only thing he had eaten from his salad the night before was the carrot tops and parsley. He left the romaine behind this isn't he will do that sometimes he doesn't scarf his salad like the girls. I got him cleaned up and gave him some pumpkin checked his tummy and it was soft. I cleaned all his dishes out and only gave hip fresh water and hay. I was late for work and the vet isn't open before I have to head out the door.
I picked up some Pedilyte and fresh parsley and romaine as well as baby food and oats. WHen I got home he had another mess in his cage and had eaten some of the pumpkin. I cleaned him up and checked his tummy's still soft but he's gnashing his teeth I gave him some oats and fresh pumpkin neither of which he showed any interest in. I gave him some baby gas drops just in case. as well as tried to get some of the Pedilyte down him I think he let most of it run out of his mouth.
What else can I do for him. I'm going to take him to work with me tomorrow if he isn't better and take him to the vets once they open. I'd take him tonight but the emergency vet is not bunny savvy
Karen

Poor bunny!

If it's really stinky, it's probably cecals, right? Not fecal matter. If it's fairly severe, it's probably cecal dysbiosis.

The best thing in that case is hay and water and a pro-biotic like Bene-bac (or acidophilus if you can't get a stronger one), although I use pumpkin when they won't eat hay. But no pellets, no veggies, no oats.

I'd also make sure he's getting a big enough dose of the gas meds (1 to 2 cc's every hour for three hours, depending on his weight), and tummy rubs.

Pedialyte is a must. It depends on the cause, but not sure the vet can do much more than do a fecal test to see if a cause can be determined, and give him a SubQ.

It sounds like you have a good handle on it.

Hope he's okay. :?

sas :clover:

Well I wondered about the strong odor and its meaning. I changed his litter again tonight to keep track he has had regular poops since I did give him some parsley which he ate and some more pedilyte. He is out running around right now and visiting the girls. So hopefully it's passed but I'll keep giving him more of the pedilyte and gas meds before I go to bed tonight and we'll see who if I have a passenger to work with me tomorrow.
Thanks Pipp

Kirby just ran in and did a double thump His way of saying thanks!

He may have regular poos as well as mushy cecals. Parsley can calm an upset tummy, so that will be the exception to the no greens rule.

The pro-biotic can help reset the bacterial balance, which is often the problem.

Glad he's doing well!

sas :bunnydance:

I'm Happy to report that Kirby's bunny bum was clean this morning when I went to work as well as tonight when I got home. So his overdosing on banana was a lesson well learned don't turn your back on your banana when Kirby is loose.
Thanks for the help and concern.

Latest posts

Back