King Kirby's Rabbit Nation 2011

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I´ve just noticed how similar Annie and Dahlia are but different colours. They are two lovely looking girls.

Great that Dahlia looks to be enjoying her time outside and that last pic of Annie stretched out is too cute, whats not to love about those little white socks lol.

Great pictures! I think Dutch rabbits are especially photogenic, with their white markings and contrasting fur (no offense, Natasha).

LOL! Yes, Natasha is beautiful in her own right. Dutch bunnies have such interesting patterns. I especially love the black and white look. Strictly speaking, Kirby has some dutchiness in him, but his white is very lopsided and the band is very small.

I´ve just noticed how similar Annie and Dahlia are but different colours. They are two lovely looking girls.

Great that Dahlia looks to be enjoying her time outside and that last pic of Annie stretched out is too cute, whats not to love about those little white socks lol.

Her perfectly symmetrical white socks just kill me every time. She is just too cute and she doesn't know it.

Haha had to laugh as I read your last post and then scrolled up to look at Annie again then went all the way up just to see if Dahlia had white socks as well and she does, that made me smile. I love dutchie markings as well, those two are just too cute.

She´s such a pretty little girl and looks so much better. Love those little socks as well :thumbup

I'd been warned that Dutch girls can be divas but I didn't think Dahlia had it in her. I was very wrong about her. She's not the quiet, shy soul I met. She's coming out of her shell and man is she a loud woman! She's hormonal, she's possessive (of the humans!), and she wants it her way or the highway. It's nice to see that she has the energy to be so assertive. It tells me she's a fighter and she's going to be just fine. She may eat like a little princess, but she's going to be fierce once she puts on some normal weight. It was funny when we were out in the yard, she would sit at the side of the pen closest to wherever I was. As soon as I sat in the pen with her she would start to run around me in circles and I could hear her little snorts and grunts. I used to read on RO all the time about hormonal little boy buns getting all grunty and circling because they've become little horn dogs but I didn't quite believe it until I saw it! She didn't try to hump me but she is *very* possessive. She hates it when I leave her to tend to other buns. She thumps and whines and thumps *nonstop*. She's hard to please, but who can blame her? She was probably neglected for god knows how long.

Sadly, I do have to say goodbye to Dahlia soon. I agreed to only foster her for 2 weeks because I will be out of town and there'll be no one home for days. My buns are going to be looked after by sitters who will come by twice a day, but really, Dahlia needs more TLC than that. She also has meds twice a day. I'm still trying to settle with the other foster parents where she can stay for 2-4 weeks until she gains the required weight to spay. In case she finds a place tomorrow, I said my quiet goodbyes to her and spoiled her silly with kisses and head & ear massages. She approved of all that but I don't think she knows what goodbye is. I just know that she hates it. She protests even if I leave her to go across the room to get her food and hay. The girl is so special. I hope the next time I see her she's a plump little thing and finds herself a permanent human to love her forever. She deserves it.

Look at this face. Who could say no?

1002583_10102167216108349_992298891_n_zps54135d96.jpg

Last edited:
Aw, I don´t know how you can let her go even though she is one high maintenance bunny. She is so gorgeous and seems to have really taken to you. I hope her next foster parents give her the same TLC you´ve been dishing out or she will complain. I hope you get updated and find out where she finally calls home. Good luck Dahlia, we´ll miss you gorgeous girl.

I'm pretty sure that once she is up to weight and spayed she'll end up at the Petco where some of our adoptables are housed for maximum people exposure. I will have to go over there on the weekends to see if/when she get adopted. She's a spectacular girl, so much fun to have around. She would be over the moon if she had her very own person to love her and only her. She deserves that much! Dahlia's going to a new foster home on Thursday. And the woman who will be caring for her has cared for bunnies of all sorts and afflictions for something like 20 years. She's going to be in great hands. I've no doubt that Dahlia will charm the daylights out of her new foster mom. Dahlia's story doesn't end here, it's really only beginning. She has a new shot at life and it's going to be great. We're going to do everything we can to get her the best home.

Today is Kirby's birthday, everyone! Kirby is SEVEN years old! I can hardly believe sometimes. He doesn't behave like a 7 year old rabbit. Sometimes he stills bops around like he's the little 2 year old that I met. He is in great spirits most days and he has energy to go exploring all the time. To celebrate his birthday, I made bunny-appropriate cupcakes for all the buns. Banana pumpkin cupcakes with pumpkin "frosting".
:party:

All the bunnies dove RIGHT into the cupcake frosting. They were all over it! I tried to take as much of the sweet stuff out of the recipe as possible, but thankfully the buns didn't end up eating the whole cupcake anyway. The only one who ate the whole thing was -- yeah, you guessed it -- Penny. She gobbled it all in like 5 bites. :dunno:

I just wanna say that on this day I am extremely, extremely thankful to the Safe Haven Rabbit Rescue in NJ for bringing Kirby into my life. It was a one-in-a-million chance that I would find this rescue located miles and miles away from me, and then another one in 15 or so chance that I'd walk away with Kirby as the bunny I would adopt. The wonderful woman who runs this rescue was hesitant about letting me have him because she just met me and I never had bunnies before. I literally went to Petco near her that same day to buy all the supplies, food, carrier, etc. and went back to her place to pick up Kirby. Kirby changed my entire life, in ways I can't even begin to describe. He's a very special bunny, and I can only hope that he lives many more healthy years with me.

Love you, Kirby! Happy birthday!

DSC_8199_zpsa2eb2d21.jpg

DSC_8198_zps89571813.jpg

DSC_8203_zpsf3f0fe58.jpg

DSC_8206_zps45d434ef.jpg

DSC_8208_zps27606934.jpg

DSC_8215_zps91837d5c.jpg

DSC_8218_zps6185dd86.jpg

DSC_8216_zps9738d32b.jpg

Those cup cakes look delicious, can we have the receipe, would love to make them for my three.

Happy birthday Kirby, looks like he had a fabulous time with all the family.

:trio:jumpforjoy::bestwishes::great:
Bunnies are like that, they just sort of get under you skin and into your heart and I´m sure that 7 years of having that wonderful boy has made a big difference in your life. I know that having mine for just over a year and a half has changed mine.

Sure! The recipe is modified from my Toby Cookies recipe. This batch makes 5 cupcakes but I thought they were rather massive cupcakes for medium size bunnies. You can probably make 8-10 if you use the mini cupcake paper molds.

Ingredients:
1/4 cup of ground rabbit pellet food
1/4 cup of ground rolled oats
1/2 banana, mashed until creamy
1/4 cup of pumpkin puree (fresh or canned) - for dough
1/3 cup of pumpkin puree (fresh or canned) - for "frosting". Set aside this for the last step.

You can easily ground the pellets and oats together in a food processor.
Preheat the oven at 325 degrees F.

Combine all the ingredients, except the pumpkin puree for frosting, and mix well until the dough can be formed into a ball. It should feel almost like playdoh, a bit hard but pliable.

Set out paper cupcake holders (5 regular sized ones or 10 mini sized ones). Use a spoon to scoop out some of the dough and press it into the cupcake holders. Try to get them as uniformly shaped as possible so they will bake evenly. Bake the cupcakes for 30-35 minutes. Turn the oven temperature down to 200. Bake for another 15-20 minutes. You want the cupcakes to bake thoroughly so that the insides are dried out, but not so hot that the edges start to burn. Turn off the oven and leave the cupcakes in the oven to continue to dry out for about an hour.

Take the cupcakes out and let them cool thoroughly. Put the remaining pumpkin puree into a piping bag or just a zip-top bag and snip a hole in the corner. Pipe out the pumpkin in a circular motion over each cupcake to "frost" them.

You can make the cupcakes bigger or smaller as you wish, just be more mindful of how long you have them in the oven. The thicker your cupcake, the longer it will take to dry out the center.

There are also lots of variations that you can do to make cookies and such for your bunnies.
http://www.rabbitsonline.net/f28/baking-your-bunny-54618/

Thanks for that I can´t wait to make them. My friend gave me an enormous pumpkin today from her garden so I´m looking for recipes to use it all up. I´m sure mine would love them, they do look really tasty (for rabbits that is lol).

Happy Belated Birthday to Kirby!! He's such a handsome bunny, and you're such a good mom making bunny cupcakes for all of them! They must be delicious, and by the pics it's easy to see the bunnies really liked them! Dahlia is cute too, sorry to know you can't keep her. This is the hard part of fostering, we want to keep every bunny but can't.. sigh..

Latest posts

Back