Kinda what type of rabbit :)

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Snagliph

Reaction score
My husband picked our bunny, Alice, up off the side of the street. She is white with some orange patches on her bum. Her eyes are blue. Being female and loose she was of course pregnant, so she had 4 babies, three of which are black, one was orange and white brindle. The one black had a white foot, but otherwise they have no markings.

2quj8qo.jpg

nn02mg.jpg

25gt8uo.jpg

2rh1agp.jpg

My best guess is Rex or mini Rex. I've not weighed her, but she's not that big, maybe 3-4lb. Not dwarf, but still smallish.

Edited - sorry about the extra-large pics :eek:

She was probably pregnant before she got loose, or set loose with an intact buck. The wild rabbits are a different species and cannot breed with domestic rabbits. ;)

She looks like a Mini Rex cross - especially her facial features.

Emily

Yeah, I think it's permanent. I'm working on homes for the babies, I have 2 left, but might have a home for one now (the remaining boy). At least that only leaves me a girl if I do need to keep her. That way I can try them together. How long post-weaning before re-introducing a mom to her baby girl?

Gotta say for a stray bunny Alice is a lovely girl. She's great to pick up and hold, goes in a harness, doesn't mind other pets, likes kids, and is pretty quiet in her cage. She will occasionally nip or dig, but it's minor so far. I figured she wasn't purebred :)

You may want to consider getting her spayed before trying to reintroduce the baby back. Intact females can be territorial and may not like having another female around. They might be fine for a couple months, but once the baby hits puberty, that can all change. It would also be good to get the baby spayed when she is old enough. You could try letting them out to run around together, but cage them separately to avoid problems with territorial behaviour.

As for when to try putting them together again, wait until the milk is all dried up, then add a couple days. I am not really sure how long this might be, but I would not expect more than a week or so.

Hmm, not sure about whether I can get either one spayed. I'd like to, but hubby pays the bills and he's not really wanting to spend it on a bunny he picked up on the side of the road... I'm really hoping both remaining babies will find homes, but I have no way to keep three bunnies seperately at the moment. I need to separate the two babies so the boy has his own cage. That's why I am hoping to put the girl back with her mom (after re-introducing them and making sure they are ok together). It is a big 2 storey cage (was my chinchilla's but she's moved back into her old cage which isn't really bunny-friendly). The boy would go in the smaller basic bunny cage the mom has been in for kindling and up till now. It's not the best in the world, but it worked for the purpose. They have been weaned for about 4 weeks now, so Alice should be plenty dry.

Her face and body DOES look mini rex-ish....but she's definitely a cross. As for her color, I'd say she's a broken Vienna-marked red, and rather pretty.

She also looks a bit on the older side, but that could just be her condition after living feral.

I would say a Mini Rex cross also with the eye color and the head, but crossed with what is anyones guess.
I do agree with hillrise, she does look to be more than a young bunny, maybe even upwards of a year or 2.

Cool, good to know she might be older. The rough hair though is because she was nesting and pulling hair... and she's shedding a lot at the moment too. Being a stray I've had no clue as to age. I knew she was mature, but otherwise...

Whatever her breeding she sure is cute :) And a sweetie. I have now moved her in with her daughter (after re-introducing them - see the thread in the general forum) and they are doing great. The boy is now living alone :( poor guy. He misses having a playmate, but he's got toys and I try to give him attention. I might try taking him for a "walk" tomorrow - I've been starting harness training on them.

Latest posts

Back